• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Vatican Scavi - Necropolis

mactoolsix

10+ Posts
We are planning to do the Scavi tour, but are a little concerned as to how tight the passage ways are. Can some one fill us in about this?
Thanks, Mike

I have done this tour twice and have never found the passageways to be uncomfortable at all, but I am a fairly small person and I have no issues with claustrophobia. Our friend who was with us on our last visit is 6’3” and he had no problems with the passageways. It can sometimes be somewhat warm and humid, as it was for us in an October visit but not when we visited in early April...I suggest you dress in layers so you can adjust to the temperature.

I have done the Scavi tour 3 times. The passageways are not unduly narrow.
They're no Champs Elysées.
Bear in mind ydou are at all times going from one small space to another small space, several levels underground. That is why those who suffer from claustrophobia are advised not to take the tour. If you are deep underground and have a breakdown, it is impossible for you to walk out by yourself. I don't know the exact procedure, but it will entail considerable disruption of the tour.

The passages are a little narrow, and you are walking and sort of going up and down uneven steps and doorways down there.
The main thing we found was that it was like a steam bath down there, extremely humid.
We thought it would be cold! so of course had all the wrong clothes on.
Take a hand held fan, a big bottle of water, and a little spray bottle of water to spritz yourself with, and you'll enjoy it a lot more.
There is nowhere to sit down if I remember correctly, if you feel a little queasy.

Last edited:
I am a little claustrophobic, but felt nothing both times we went. It's a great tour.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina