• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Veneto recommentdations

SewOz

Hi all,

I wanted to get some opinions on a couple of options of what to do at the end of our trip in the Veneto area. The basics:
Who's going - me, my partner, and our 9 year old daughter (who currently has poor walking stamina - but new puppy will hopefully help that!) Oh, and she also has inattentive ADHD, so I expect the usual kid boredom seen on trips x2 from her! :)
Coming in early-ish September to Rome, checking that out and then heading down to see Pompeii (maybe Herculaneum?) ~ 5 days
Heading up to Venice - staying there 5 days (mostly sorted - relative lives there and we are doing this leg for my mom's 80th birthday)
Two nights in thermal springs spa place @ Abano Terme (with my elderly parents)
THEN we have ~ 5 days to ourselves before we have to fly out ~26th of September (probably Venice).

The question is - what to do with those 5 days in the Veneto area? We've done the immediate surrounds of Trieste to death in the past, so want to do something different. Some options off the top of my head:
- We loved staying at agroturismos and doing food walking tours/classes in the past, so that would be fun.
- Somewhere in the Dolomites (although not sure what the weather will be like). The cable cars look cool.
- Lake Garda (but sounds pretty touristy) - maybe Sirmione? That looks interesting.
- Somewhere in the Prosecco hills (we loved staying in a small hill town north of Rome last trip to Italy so this sounds appealing, and my partner would love to do a tour/experience Prosecco related things as that's her favourite poison - recommendations for any?)

We can take trains, etc.. but would also consider hiring a car for these 5 days.

Thank you for any advice!

Lake Garda was enjoyable. For a kid day, think about Gardaland. Our kids were around your daughter's age and had fun -- parents survived. Lots of activities and diversions.

Sirmione is a nice outing and other interesting things to do -- Roman villa, aceto factories; follow James Bond's route around Lake Garda from the opening of Quantam of Solace (drive fast; weave in and out of traffic on blind curves; adds to the experience??). Stay at the old style Grand Hotel Gardone (which, I believe, recently underwent a restoration) for beautiful lake views.

Reasonable distance for day trips to Verona, Mantua, Brescia, Bergamo, and Cremona if there are things in those areas that would be of interest. A little further gets you to Parma and a visit to a cheese factory.

Car would be necessary.

I wonder whether the place we stayed in between Verona and Soave (Mezzane di Sotto) might appeal:

Elements that might make it a great fit:
- Lovely swimming pool
- Extensive grounds, so walking can be as far or as short as you want
- breakfasts are a stunning spread, brought to your door to eat inside or on the patio.
- Self-catering very much possible

Slight downsides: I don't think they do evening meals (perhaps by arrangement?) and the local restaurants are either a 30 min walk away, or will require driving.

Potentially ideal for a relaxing time, but with a day trip to Verona and/or Soave to mix it up.

Alternatively you mentioned Dolomites. We've stayed in and enjoyed both Trento and Lago Molveno, the latter gives stunning views of mountains, lake and village with all the boring filler excluded. It made me giggle it was so impressive. Meanwhile the city of Trento is also a gem, easy to walk around with wide open streets, many pedestrianised.

There are other villages that are very attractive, but the lake and it's associated activities might make Molveno the obvious choice. It has a new modern enclosed cable car, which whilst I miss the open air old one, may feel much safer as a parent. Once up there, there is some lovely walking, including up to a more basic chair lift to go even higher. Do however check the timings, as September can be a lull between summer and winter season, with the cable cars restricted to weekends only. For a simpler option, Trento has its own old cable car up to a high village, and it's very cheap for the experience.

Food in the region is hearty, but tasty, and a special mention to the aladdins cave of a food shop in a nearby village (Andalo) called Bottega delle Bonta, plus the energetic and somewhat mad (in a nice way) butcher in Molveno.

I'm hoping the scenery is so engrossing it will help manage the ADHD, and that the rather steep slopes in the village aren't too onerous.

Another thought: Udine. We spent a week there last spring and although it is not in the countryside, nor in the Veneto, it is a beautiful small city with (of course) fantastic food and wine.

You might like Bassano del Grappa combined with Asolo, too.
There are so many options!

One thought for your daughter in Venice is a lion scavenger hunt.

Enjoy the planning.

Thank you all! I've given the options to my wife, and she's really keen on the idea of an agroturisom in the prosecco hills area (this looks right up our alley https://www.agriturismo.it/en/farmhouse/veneto/treviso/LeNoci-8620571/index.html) and doing some sort of prosecco tours/exploring, with a day trip to Lake Garda. I'm also toying with the idea of taking a train to Innsbruck to visit an old friend there (never been, and it might scratch that mountain vibe itch)

Any good experiences with organised prosecco and/or food tours in the area?

No personal experience, but wherever we stay, we tend to see if any decent looking ones are in walking distance. I like the look of Prapian's website, though I've not tasted their wines, with a decent breadth to the range. Google says a 44min walk, passing through Arfanta, which might give options for lunch before/after.

Another thought: Udine. We spent a week there last spring and although it is not in the countryside, nor in the Veneto, it is a beautiful small city with (of course) fantastic food and wine.

You might like Bassano del Grappa combined with Asolo, too.
There are so many options!

One thought for your daughter in Venice is a lion scavenger hunt.

Enjoy the planning.
Ohh, we've been to Udina, and you are right - it was lovely! Only one day through though.

The lion scavenger hunt is a great idea! I've been there a few time so I'll have to hold my competitive spirit in check :)

Hi all,

I wanted to get some opinions on a couple of options of what to do at the end of our trip in the Veneto area. The basics:
Who's going - me, my partner, and our 9 year old daughter (who currently has poor walking stamina - but new puppy will hopefully help that!) Oh, and she also has inattentive ADHD, so I expect the usual kid boredom seen on trips x2 from her! :)
Coming in early-ish September to Rome, checking that out and then heading down to see Pompeii (maybe Herculaneum?) ~ 5 days
Heading up to Venice - staying there 5 days (mostly sorted - relative lives there and we are doing this leg for my mom's 80th birthday)
Two nights in thermal springs spa place @ Abano Terme (with my elderly parents)
THEN we have ~ 5 days to ourselves before we have to fly out ~26th of September (probably Venice).

The question is - what to do with those 5 days in the Veneto area? We've done the immediate surrounds of Trieste to death in the past, so want to do something different. Some options off the top of my head:
- We loved staying at agroturismos and doing food walking tours/classes in the past, so that would be fun.
- Somewhere in the Dolomites (although not sure what the weather will be like). The cable cars look cool.
- Lake Garda (but sounds pretty touristy) - maybe Sirmione? That looks interesting.
- Somewhere in the Prosecco hills (we loved staying in a small hill town north of Rome last trip to Italy so this sounds appealing, and my partner would love to do a tour/experience Prosecco related things as that's her favourite poison - recommendations for any?)

We can take trains, etc.. but would also consider hiring a car for these 5 days.

Thank you for any advice!
Just one comment don’t miss Herculaneum!!

No personal experience, but wherever we stay, we tend to see if any decent looking ones are in walking distance. I like the look of Prapian's website, though I've not tasted their wines, with a decent breadth to the range. Google says a 44min walk, passing through Arfanta, which might give options for lunch before/after.
Thanks! we definitely will be looking at doing some walks. We're thinking of hiring some ebikes - some of the rides look lovely and it sounds like things are reasonably close together. One worry I have though - safety - especially with a 9 year old on small roads with possibly tipsy tourist drivers!

Just one comment don’t miss Herculaneum!!
I know! I want to, but both Pompeii and Herculaneum might be too much for my wife and daughter! They are really keen on being able to see the human casts as it gives quite a unique connection to the past.

I know! I want to, but both Pompeii and Herculaneum might be too much for my wife and daughter! They are really keen on being able to see the human casts as it gives quite a unique connection to the past.
I’m pretty sure those casts are in the museum in naples

Thanks! we definitely will be looking at doing some walks. We're thinking of hiring some ebikes - some of the rides look lovely and it sounds like things are reasonably close together. One worry I have though - safety - especially with a 9 year old on small roads with possibly tipsy tourist drivers!

On the whole Italian drivers whilst fast and confident, I've found them to be skilful and respectful. There are certainly less pavements (sidewalks) than we have in the UK, but invariably there's a decent area on the verge and drivers have always given us a very wide berth - typically driving on the opposite side of the road to any pedestrians. I'd expect the same treatment for bicycles / e-bikes. If it's a rural area, the traffic will be light, which really helps motorists make every effort to be respectful to bikes and pedestrians, as any delay / inconvenience in doing so is very minor indeed.

Only in Emilia Romagna was the level of speed something scary, probably linked to the nearby racetracks and motorbike / sports car manufacturers. Elsewhere I've found they drive with confidence and skill, with an unwritten rule that everyone wants to get to their destination without delay, so "let's work together to avoid delaying each other" seemed the overarching principle on the road.

Tipsy? I'm not aware of the level of testing and convictions in Italy. Traditionally the view was that testing was a bit lax, but balanced by Italians considering being drunk to be a major social faux pas. I'm sure it's tightened up over time. I've always felt safe, but not had the additional worry of a young child in tow.

Worth having a look on Google maps and seeing if there are paths through vineyards. When larger companies own big holdings, these tend to be blocked off, but if ownership traditionally was with families, and plots get handed down, they are often split between the offspring. In the Langhe (Piemonte) this is very much the case, with access needing to remain open due to the fractured holdings. As a result that's the place I'd recommend for a future holiday where safe walking through vineyards (and the odd wood) is very much the norm.

Re: Alcohol testing in Italy. Our younger Italian cousins live in fear of being stopped. They are unfailing in use of designated drivers. I don't know the specifics of penalties associated with impaired driving, but I do know it certainly has their attention when they go out for an evening.

On the whole Italian drivers whilst fast and confident, I've found them to be skilful and respectful. There are certainly less pavements (sidewalks) than we have in the UK, but invariably there's a decent area on the verge and drivers have always given us a very wide berth - typically driving on the opposite side of the road to any pedestrians. I'd expect the same treatment for bicycles / e-bikes. If it's a rural area, the traffic will be light, which really helps motorists make every effort to be respectful to bikes and pedestrians, as any delay / inconvenience in doing so is very minor indeed.

Only in Emilia Romagna was the level of speed something scary, probably linked to the nearby racetracks and motorbike / sports car manufacturers. Elsewhere I've found they drive with confidence and skill, with an unwritten rule that everyone wants to get to their destination without delay, so "let's work together to avoid delaying each other" seemed the overarching principle on the road.

Tipsy? I'm not aware of the level of testing and convictions in Italy. Traditionally the view was that testing was a bit lax, but balanced by Italians considering being drunk to be a major social faux pas. I'm sure it's tightened up over time. I've always felt safe, but not had the additional worry of a young child in tow.

Worth having a look on Google maps and seeing if there are paths through vineyards. When larger companies own big holdings, these tend to be blocked off, but if ownership traditionally was with families, and plots get handed down, they are often split between the offspring. In the Langhe (Piemonte) this is very much the case, with access needing to remain open due to the fractured holdings. As a result that's the place I'd recommend for a future holiday where safe walking through vineyards (and the odd wood) is very much the norm.Yeah, I was more worried
Yeah, I was more worried about the tourists than the locals! :) But great suggestion about looking for areas with small plots. The e-bikes turns out to be a moot point- you need to be at least 14 years old to ride one in Italy!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina