• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Venice Airport to Florence

Christian

100+ Posts
Contest 2019 Winner!
Hello my friends!
Well, we decided to go back to Italy in 2018 (yay!!!), so I've started to do my research. We will be renting an apartment in Florence for 2-3 weeks, but will likely fly into Venice.
My question is what is the best and easiest way to get from Venice Airport to Florence (right after an overseas flight)? We do not drive, so renting a car is not an option. I assume we first have to get to Mestre from VCE and then take a train to Florence, right?

That sounds right, if indeed flying to Venice works best with your plans. I would say to book the first train when you get to Mestre, rather than book a reduced fare in advance and risk it going to waste if your flight is late.

I agree, the savings you get from buying in advance must be weighed against the risk of being late by no fault of your own. Discounted tickets are worthless if you miss the train. Sometimes you can get a deal that's so good it's worth taking the risk, it comes down to a personal comfort level. I've seen fares from Rome to Naples for €9, for example. That I'd be willing to risk losing.

The easiest route to Mestre would be a taxi but you can save a little if you want to take the direct bus, info here: http://www.atvo.it/allegati/aeroporti/linea_35b_dal_13.09.2017_al_30.09.2017.pdf

Taxi fare is about €35, bus fare is €8 per person.

Depending on how long you will have to wait for your train, you could also take the ATVO bus to Venice - Piazzale Roma and take the train from the Santa Lucia station. Much prettier wait there then at the Mestre station. I did that when flying into Venice but I did have a little wait before my train left for Udine. There is a short walk over a big bridge though if you do take the ATVO bus to Piazzale Roma. Same cost / same time on the bus to either Mestre or Piazzale Roma. Below is some info I put in my notes before I left for Italy that may be helpful.

ATVO bus info to/from airport

Marco Polo Airport to Mestre train station express bus

What to Expect

Transfer from Marco Polo Airport to Mestre Train Station with ease on the express bus service, and arrive at your destination in approximately 20 minutes.

Buses from the airport run approximately every 20 minutes from 06:06 to 00:50

The bus station is outside the Arrivals Hall at Marco Polo Airport, Exit D. Go to the second lane on the left. Buses depart from platform 1.

~~~

At Venice Marco Polo airport, you can buy tickets in several locations:

• At the ATVO's ticket counter in the baggage-claim area.
  • At ATVO ticket counters in the arrivals area (one facing the exit from baggage claim, the other to the left of the exit).
  • From the ticket machines (three in baggage claim, and another three outside the terminal at the ATVO bus stops).
  • From the ATVO's staff at the bus stops, who will also provide information if you need it.
    **Be sure to validate your ticket before or immediately after boarding the ATVO coach. At the airport, you'll find a stamping machine on the ticket machine by the bus stop; at the Piazzale Roma, stamp your ticket in the machine behind the driver's seat unless the driver takes your ticket and punches it for you outside the bus. (You do not need to validate tickets that you ordered onlilne, since these are for specific dates.)
~~~

Marco Polo Airport to Piazzale Roma - Venice

Buses from Marco Polo Airport are available every 20 minutes, on the hour and at 20 minutes and 40 minutes past the hour. They do not run during the night after 00:50 (01:20 from April until October). Note that the first service in the morning is at 05:20.

The airport express bus provides a non-stop service to central Venice and in just 20 minutes you’ll be dropped off at Piazzale Roma.

The bus station is outside the arrivals hall at Marco Polo Airport, exit D, 2nd lane, platform 2 on the left

The ATVO stops are located on a strip of sidewalk between two vehicle lanes outside the arrivals and baggage-claim area. Look for the No. 2 stop ("Venezia Piazzale Roma" or "Venezia Express"), which is to the left of door D as you exit the terminal.

OK, back from Venice last night (sigh...).
I can definitely confirm that Susan's suggestion was great! Going from VCE to Sant Lucia (a quick shuttle bus) was THE way to go! And much nicer than going through Mestre!!! Thank you Susan!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina