• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Information Venice airport to train station options & food nearby

susan

100+ Posts
Hello Venice experts!

My flight arrives into Venice at 9 am. The first direct train I would be able to make to Udine departs from the Venezia S. Lucia train station at noon. I will probably have some time to spare and am trying to decide which way to arrive into Venice: option A Taking the ATVO bus to Piazzale Roma OR option B Taking the Alilaguna. The ATVO bus is cheaper and faster but you can't beat arriving by boat. If for some reason my plane is delayed or security takes forever, I have also copied info for option C Taking the ATVO bus to the Venezia Mestre train station.

Questions...

If I take the bus to Piazzale Roma, is it easy to walk to the train station from there? I can't remember now the distance and if there are many bridges/steps along the way (since I will have luggage with me).

If I take the Alilaguna, which line would I take and which stop would be closest to the train station? Again, will it be easy to walk to the train station from that stop? Also, do the Alilaguna boats pack you in like the vaporetto does or do they have a limited number of seats?

Which option would you choose?

Also, once I get to the train station or either Piazzale Roma or the Alilaguna stop, does anyone have suggestions for a place where I could grab something to eat (having luggage with me)? I could happily eat what I purchase hanging out in front of the train station waiting for my train or eat once on the train depending on the time.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions you may have.

We would usually take the bus to Piazzale Roma which is much less $$$. You have to go over one big bridge and get through lots of people (but that's everywhere) to the station. If you are facing the station, go all the way to your right and there is a ramp so you don't have to deal with your luggage on the stairs.
There are a few eating places inside the station--I've only gotten coffee there but some look better than others.

Thanks, Jan! I remember that big bridge now. The google map I was looking at did not show a bridge but I was not looking at the terrain view. Appreciate the directions! Good to know if I end up taking the bus! I am sort of hoping to find something better to eat than train station food but that may be what I end up with.

Still thinking about the Alilaguna option unless it takes a long time to get out of the airport. I just love being on a boat and starting my trip off with beautiful views can't be beat.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina