• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Venice and Lake Como

How long are you planning to stay and what's your price range? Bellagio and Varenna are within view of one another on Lake Como. However, you'll find very different accommodations in each. It would also help to know your interests.

We've stayed in these three sestieri or neighborhoods of Venice - Dorsoduro, Santa Croce and Cannaregio. Each are beautiful and charming with their own individual character but my favorite is Dorsoduro - great restaurants and osterie, the waterfront promenade of The Zattere, many local artist's studios, beautiful churches- check out the ceiling at San Pantalon (the largest canvas painting in the world) and another favorite Venice Jazz Club. We've only ever rented apartments so I cannot recommend a hotel but if you are staying 3 nights or more I would suggest you consider an apartment -if not check out the different neighborhoods to see which one suits you best.

For Lago di Como I highly recommend Hotel GLAVJC in Torno - it's an odd name but the letters are the co-owners initials. You can hop on a bus to get to the hotel from the central station. It takes about 10 minutes to reach the hotel and the stop is just in front on the opposite side of the street. The cost for the bus is 1 or 2 euro. Getting in and out of town was a breeze. The rooms here are very minimal but the views over Lake Como from the private balcony are exceptional. Our room was very clean - it had a private bath with shower, tv, refrigerator, phone and comfy bed. The main reason I would recommend this hotel is the food! One of the owners is a chef and the food was outrageously good! The bistecca we had for dinner was better than any I have had in Florence. The staff were very helpful. Angelo picked us up at a local trattoria the first day when we prematurely exited the bus. Osvaldo is my favorite - he serves breakfast, lunch and dinner and is so super sweet. He heard I like Adriano Celentano an Italian singer and he played it for us at every seating He also recorded a CD of all the Celentano songs for me to take home. Super kind. But again the food (photos attached) and the views from both the dining room and the hotel rooms are sensational. The price was better than any other place we considered. www.hotelglavjc.it

Attachments

• glavjc bistecca fiorentina.jpg
    glavjc bistecca fiorentina.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 9
  • glavjc carpaccio.jpg
    glavjc carpaccio.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 6
  • glavjc gnocchi gorgonzola.jpg
    glavjc gnocchi gorgonzola.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 9
  • glavjc perfection bistecca fiorentina.jpg
    glavjc perfection bistecca fiorentina.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 9
  • glavjc lunch view vino.jpg
    glavjc lunch view vino.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 8
  • glavjc penne arrabiatta by candlelight.jpg
    glavjc penne arrabiatta by candlelight.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 9
  • glavjc view from balcony.jpg
    glavjc view from balcony.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 8
I found this hotel on Tripadvisor. It's right in between Campo Santa Margherita, Campo San Barnaba and The Zattere. Right up the block from the both Venice Jazz Club, Osteria Pugni, and La Barca floating fruit and veggie boat. It's also close to Ludovico de Luigi's studio which in the past was open to the public at specified times. It's within walking distance to Santa Maria della Salute Church, The Accademia and Peggy Guggenheim museum. Looks good to me! Good luck and happy travels!!!

Hotel Casa Rezzonico
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187870-d561961-Reviews-Casa_Rezzonico-Venice_Veneto.html

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina