• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Venice Birthday Dinner

carolync

10+ Posts
We are taking an overnight trip from Florence to Venice for my birthday. We'll be arriving on my birthday in the morning, and taking the last train back the following evening.

I've spent so much time researching Florence, I've slacked on Venice, and the trip is fast approaching.

I would love some suggestions on a nice restaurant for a birthday dinner. Mid-range price wise. (I don't want to break the bank with a Michelin-starred place)

Just stumbled upon Antiche Carampane, which looks like fabulous. This is a good example of what type of restaurant I'm looking for.

We are staying in the Cannaregio area but location is not crucial. Good food is, preferably seafood.

Grazie Mille!

Vini da Gigio and Anice Stellato in Cannaregio are comparable to Antiche Carampane, though Anice Stellato is perhaps a bit less expensive. We also love Alla Frasca in Cannaregio. We've been to all of these many times and can heartily recommend them, and they all offer a great selection of seafood.
Remember, fresh seafood in Venice is always going to be fairly expensive.

Thank you Ann. I will take a look at those.

I don't mind the extra expense, I just don't want a super expensive joint and end up with a €400 bill. :) €35 for a main course/secondo is perfectly acceptable to me for this occasion.

Carolyn, if you go to the Italy forum on Chowhound.com (https://www.chowhound.com/tag/italy) and google Venice, the posts by PBSF are extremely informative. He's an American who lives in San Francisco but spends a lot of time in Venice, and we've found his recommendations over the years to be completely accurate and very helpful.
BTW, I just checked our c/c bills for our 3 weeks in Venice in April/May 2016, and our 3 times at Antiche Carampane ranged from 130 t0 160 euros. Vini da Gigio and Anice Stellato and Alla Frasca were all a bit less, in the 110 to 140 euros range. All bills were seafood only and included a full bottle of wine.
And be sure to treat yourself to the soft-shelled crabs of Venice called moeche, available in the spring and fall -- heaven on earth!

You might consider Local.

http://www.ristorantelocal.com/it/home

I think it is very worthy for a birthday celebration. There was an article about the restaurant in the New York Times in November - https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/06/travel/venice-restaurant-local-lagoon.html
May be a little more expensive than you are thinking.. but it is fantastic.

I have eaten a few lunches there and I hope to eat dinner there this weekend. If I can manage to get to Local this weekend I will come back to let you know what we spend.

La Cantina also has incredible seafood, both raw and cooked. They also have a great list of Bollicine to go with it.

BTW, I just checked our c/c bills for our 3 weeks in Venice in April/May 2016, and our 3 times at Antiche Carampane ranged from 130 t0 160 euros. Vini da Gigio and Anice Stellato and Alla Frasca were all a bit less, in the 110 to 140 euros range. All bills were seafood only and included a full bottle of wine.
And be sure to treat yourself to the soft-shelled crabs of Venice called moeche, available in the spring and fall -- heaven on earth!

Ann, that's right in line with my budget.

Soft shells are popular here in Maryland, and are fantastic when cooked well. I'll have to see how the Venice ones compare.
Completely forgot about Chowhound! I looked at Eater briefly and found only Michelin-starred.

Shannon - that is the a little pricey, but close enough to consider. Especially since I usually won't eat more than 2 courses.

We chose L'anice Stellato and was an excellent! I had their fish tasting menu and the food and the service could not have been any better. They even brought out my tiramisu with a little candle in a blueberry, and treated us to their house-made lemoncello and fennelcello.

Reactions: jan

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina