• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Article Venice flooded by highest tide in 50 years

@jan is blogging from Venice now.

Reactions: jan
Italy at its worst, sadly. The Thames Barrier, admittedly a much shorter project, was ready for the 1980s. The MOSE project is enormously long, of dubious design and will probably never work. However it's enriched local politicians for decades.

More flooding at high tide today.

The Guardian - Venice council flooded moments after rejecting climate crisis plan
Rightwing parties reject proposals as lagoon city faces worst flooding in 53 years
Angela Giuffrida in Rome, 15 November 2019

Italy at its worst, sadly. The Thames Barrier, admittedly a much shorter project, was ready for the 1980s. The MOSE project is enormously long, of dubious design and will probably never work. However it's enriched local politicians for decades.

I have my doubts as well. This is a country that can barely get elevators and escalators to function properly in subway stations. If they can get something this complex to operate correctly, it will be an act of God.

I have my doubts as well. This is a country that can barely get elevators and escalators to function properly in subway stations. If they can get something this complex to operate correctly, it will be an act of God.

I'd say that God (if he exists) has been very good to Italy up til now, so here's hoping that his good acts will continue.

Flood records are being broken all over the world, from New Orleans to Japan, so this is not only Italy's malfunctioning - developed Western nations are having to re-think their preparedness in areas that up until now were taken more or less for granted. I'm sure that the Venice MOSE (flood control) project was meticulously planned and researched, and that professional engineering considerations, combined with economic constraints, were what influenced the final decision.

The fact that it's far behind the planned schedule and was also plagued by corrupt stages in the execution, goes to show that the Venetians and the Italian gov't, like most of the governments in the world, are still in denial of the full implications of what scientists have been telling us, and what we are starting to witness every year : things are changing for the worse in global climate and ecology, in ways that have not been experienced, and which cannot even be predicted well.

Perhaps the only nation that is in the right mindset to fully grasp what it means to live under the threat of severe and constant flooding, and have proven that they also implementing this awareness on all fronts, are the Dutch.

If there will be no significant change in today's global routines, the next 50-100 years will be completely different from the preceding ones, in terms of climate stability.

The English language press seems to think this is only happening in Venezia...wrong! Flooding is happening ALL across Italy this month including Piemonte, Veneto, Emilia-Romagna, Lazio, Campania, Basilicata, Puglia and Sicilia. With the rains starting today it will continue. ANSA

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina