• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Venice Tourist Sign

Joanne Hoefer

10+ Posts
Daughter sent me this

Attachments

• 13307342_1424515710908039_64840518693684155_n.jpg
    13307342_1424515710908039_64840518693684155_n.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 66
Yes, such signs are cropping up in a number of cities.

There was a recent thread on this subject here, so I won't rehash that discussion, but it did prompt some useful reflection on what responsible tourism is, plus the fine line between tax / law dodging / annoyance to fellow residents and providing a way to better embed in a community and better understand the culture.

I don’t know how many of you noticed, but at the bottom of the sign, in small print, is a sentence saying thank you to the people of New Orleans, who phrased the protest in this particular way and put up signs in their city against renting properties to tourists, especially through AirBnB.
In that city, an efficient campaign, accompanied by legislature and negotiations with AirBnB, has led to the latter backing off to some extent, and to more regulation of property renting.

Although indeed the subject of responsible tourism has been mentioned now and then on this forum, it might be interesting to start a thread specifically on this. In these partiular cases (Venice and New Orleans), I believe that most of the responsibility lies on the local citizens - but it would be interesting to debate this.

Maybe in the November doldrums.....;)

D3F49742-C2DF-421D-8840-59C1686657EC.jpeg

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina