• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Venice - where to eat in June 2015

kcalnyc

10+ Posts
I am going to be in Venice for work in June and will stay one additional night to do a few things outside of work. If you only had two meals there where would you go? So you are aware, we are probably going to Al Covo one day for lunch as part of the work trip. Any and all advice is greatly welcome! Thanks.

Thanks Shannon! Anyone else with recommendations for my two meals? Plus I am there in late March or late April for the run-through trip of the logistics so I guess I have more than two meals. Didn't think of that.

Three long-time favorites of ours are Antiche Carampane (mostly seafood) in San Polo, and Vini da Gigio and l'Anice Stellato in Cannaregio.

I had very delicious and reasonably priced meals at these places:

Promessi Sposi (4367 Cannaregio, Calle dell'Oca)...garganelli pasta with fish, tomatoes and capers, and prosecco. (We went here on recommendation of a local worker my friend had stopped to ask directions to another place.)

Casin de Nobili (Dorsoduro, just off Campo San Barnaba)...pasta with veggies, sausage and saffron. Two of us split a big salad of lettuce, arugula, tomatoes, mozzarella, olives, corn, smoked ricotta and baby artichokes. For dessert, tiramisu with peach and bitter biscuits. All this for 30 euro each, including 1/2 litre of red house wine (a merlot), cover charge and tip.

Vedova (6912 Cannaregio, Ramo Ca' d'Oro). I had (melt in my mouth!) liver and onions Venetian style, served with polenta, and a side dish of grilled vegetables. We also had wine, plus biscotti and vin santo for dessert.

All look great - although I'll skip the liver and onions. Don't want to have to go to the emergency room!

Any recommendation for dinner solo when I'm there for work in March on my own?

kcalnyc, one of our all-time favorites, and we usually visit twice in a five night trip to Venice is ( with 6 or 7 visits to Venice):
Trattoria Da"Arturo", San Marco 3656, calle degli Assassini, tele- 041.5286974. It is behind La Fenice on a narrow calle that ends on the canal....

The owner, Ernesto Ballarin, has been open for 40 years and is small, friendly, very local , but visited by many celebrities ( ask Hani to see their photo album ).

Our consistent order is- shared order of the pasta e carciofi, shared pork Costeletto - it is always a full plate portion with the bone-in , fresh salad that I watch Ernesto making, and vegetables. We usually finish with berries then grappa.

I can recommend Arturo for a person dining alone, and certainly to everyone. The kitchen is tiny with Ernesto and one other man doing the cooking, Hani Beniamin who has worked there since he was a very young man(late teens, maybe) doing all the servicing and chatting with the customers and a young man cleaning.

I hope this helps. I don't know what area you are staying in, but if you are in the neighborhood of the opera house peek in.

Wendy:

I had received a recommendation for Da Arturo earlier last week and then saw this. You certainly make it sound good. I'll definitely try and get there.

Be careful, there is also a wine bar in the area with that name. Just be sure to call the number I wrote earlier, and feel free to say hello to Hani from Wendy and Rob Mari. And, do enjoy each bite.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina