• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Walking Sticks

artnbarb

1000+ Posts
Not sure if this is the right place, or if walking 'sticks' is the right term, but I'll start anyway.

We're getting ready to do some walking in Switzerland- not rugged terrain, but some ups and downs, uneven surfaces and loose gravel to deal with. Art and I have both talked about getting some walking sticks, which I'm sure help with balance - but I'd like some feedback from those of you who have used them. Do the bother you at all, or do they simply become an extension of your arm?

I'm guessing they also need to be the right length/height, but how do I judge that? Additionally, should we look for something here in Umbria before we head to Switzerland, or wait until we're there? (Where they might also be much more expensive!)

Any advice welcome!

Hi Art & Barb
I don't use them, but my partner does on occasions. Thoughts:

- Right height - many, perhaps most now are adjustable, so you can walk a little, make a tweak, walk a little further, make a tweak, until you feel comfortable with the height.
- The adjust-ability also helps fit them into luggage, but do consider this when buying - you need the shortest length it adjusts to to fit inside your luggage. ideally straight, but at least it must fit diagonally. We had to discard a pair when Italian security check said we couldn't take that pair in carry-on, despite the UK security allowing it on the outward leg.
- The brains of the operation says they are more for balance and rhythm, helping to get a regular walking motion, than any sense of force being applied, though they can occasionally be useful for that on steeper sections (and to aid balance).
- Modern materials make them very light, though there is always a concern that packing too tightly might risk them snapping in the luggage (though we've yet to see this happen).

We'd probably look first in Decathlon, but it seems there aren't any of those stores in Switzerland, though I stumbled across this (other) forum thread that discusses other sports shops in Switzerland https://www.englishforum.ch/daily-life/196330-decathlon-equivalent-switzerland.html

Alternatively, buy before heading away, as then you'll know the sticks will fit in your luggage on the return journey.

regards
Ian

I recently purchased Leki Micro Vario Carbon Trekking Poles and they are expensive but fantastic. They fold up small enough to put into a suitcase or to stuff into your backpack (they come with a bag to put them in).

We have been using hiking poles for over 10 years. We started out with cheap ones bought in Switzerland, then moved up to better Lekis, also bought in Switzerland. The cheaper ones adjust by screwing one part of the pole into the other. My last pair did that and gave out after 10 years. Better ones use a leaver thing to set the pole height - the Micro Vairo ones do this.

If you look at this page you will see a variety of quality and prices. I would buy them in Switzerland (Lenk has several outdoor shops) and start off with a less expensive version.

In England we frequently walk with one pole each - so you could start by buying one set and testing them. It is better to walk with two poles. They help your knees on the downhill because some of the weight goes onto the poles. They make it easier climbing uphill. And they keep you stable on rough paths.

We are bringing our new light Lekis to Switzerland, one pair each, and plan to walk using two poles each.

Thanks! I had never considered that you would buy them singly! These, at €20 each (the least expensive) look adequate for now. Walking Pole

Thanks too for letting us know that buying in Switzerland is possible. @Ian Sutton , since we're driving, then taking a ship back to the states, fitting in our luggage isn't such a worry.

Hi Art & Barb
Well that does give you the option of going proper 'old-school', finding a suitable broken branch of a tree, and whittling it away to fit. This may sound like crazy old man :oldman: talk (oi! Stop agreeing at the back! :sour:), but there are people here who still enjoy doing this, and there is appeal in making that connection with nature.
regards
Ian

If you're doing any mountain walking, I'd say they're more or less essential, partly to give you some extra support when negotiating uneven or rocky ground, and partly to act as brakes when you're going downhill (even, or especially, on forest roads, where the surface gravel can have a tendency to slip). And yes, go for adjustables - it'll soon become second nature to set them to the necessary length, and only take a few seconds.

I've also been using them for several years. I have vertigo, and having a pole or two makes going downhill easier, also for the extra care to not twist my wonky knee. Mine are the kind that telescope, but I think I'll upgrade to better ones that can go into a suitcase for our Switzerland trip next year.

Never thought of walking sticks when we did a lot of hiking in Switzerland ten years ago. One of the trails we followed......

Alp hiking trail (21).JPG

Alp hiking trail (20).JPG

.....won't think of doing this now.

We were staying in Pontresina at the time without a car. I think that we took a bus to this funicular.

Muragl finicular.JPG

...then some four and half hours later, we took the Alp Languard chairlift down to Pontresina.

Alp Languard chairlift.JPG

It was supposed to be a two and half hour hike but we went over the mountain by mistake which took much longer and a more hazardous hike. See this description.

I see a herd of mountain goats up ahead debating whether that path is safe to use...;)

A friend turned me on the these

http://www.rockymountainamblers.com/

when I twisted my ankle on the way to the airport last fall, and arrived with a really swollen ankle that I didn't trust for a week (there was no turning back, I could stand on it so knew it wasn't broken but there wasn't much I could do to elevate, etc on the flight). She lent me hers for our week in Sicily, and I got one immediately when I got home... I chose the slim/light version and take it with me now, just in case. And it really does help to steady me for hilly spots, staircases in Italy w/o railings, etc.; it really is no problem to pack or carry along.

(Admin fixed link.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've tried, briefly, with some cheap poles from our local "outdoor shop", but I cannot get on with them - they seem more of an encumbrance than an aid. I must persevere and try them for an enforced long walk because so many people recommend them.

Earlier this year, on Vancouver Island, Canada, there were some moderate trails where there were collections of traditional walking sticks of all types - "please take one, and leave it here or at the end of the trail when you're done" - I really like that idea.

Hi Barb:

I'm a fan of hiking poles. Used them last year while walking the Camino. Got the older version of these from REI: Black Diamond Distance Z Trekking Poles They're so light, but very sturdy. It was also convenient that it folded up so I could easily pack it up & stick it in my backpack when I stopped at cafes, so it didn't get in the way. It made it a lot easier on my knees and takes the weight/pressure off during hilly sections & helps a bit in propelling forward on the flatter surfaces as well.

I don't use pole on casual walks but for any long distance or more challenging trails, I wouldn't go without them. Here is a great video on the benefits of using them which I found helpful before I left for my walk.

I will echo Pauline's endorsement of Leki trekking poles. They are very useful for balance when the trail/terrain is rough or uneven and they are lightweight and collapsable.

I got a pair of walking poles when I started to have problems with my knees. It took me a while to get used to walking with them - particularly starting off and several times I ended up with legs and feet entangled in poles. It also took a while to adjust to thinking about four points of contact on rough and uneven surfaces. It is now second nature and they do make walking a lot easier. Adjust for height - hold your arms out at right angles from the elbow and adjust to fit. Also adjust the poles for going up hill (slightly shorter) and going down hill (slightly longer.)

One thing you may also find is that they can make the arm muscles ache at first - after all they are used for Nordic walking and exercising the upper torso!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina