• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

What are your Go-To research websites (other than SlowEurope), for Italy?

Wendy&Rob

100+ Posts
Two weeks and counting... I am now in the final stages of pulling together our activities, exhibits and things to see-and-do and I am wondering what and where you go for your info.

This will be our 19th trip to Italy and our longest stay in Rome, with 23 nights in an apartment through http://www.gruppodirienzo.com/en/.

Some of my web links are these:
Slow Europe, SlowTalk/Travel, Rome Museum.com, Parlafood.com, Wanted in Rome, Turismoroma.it, Coopculture.it

I need more! Help! Wendy

Last edited:
Wait! Two weeks and counting?! When do you arrive in Rome? I'll be there just a few nights with friends, May 13, 14, & 15, before we go to Sant'Antonio for two weeks. Could we meet for a drink or something if that's while you're there?

Oh Chris, I am putting on my :arghh: face... We arrive to FCO the night of May 12th, but we are not going to Rome until the 21st.
Have a wonderful time at Nico's, and please say hello to any travelers we might know.

Wait! Two weeks and counting?! When do you arrive in Rome? I'll be there just a few nights with friends, May 13, 14, & 15, before we go to Sant'Antonio for two weeks. Could we meet for a drink or something if that's while you're there?
Chris we will be at San antonio may 3oth but I think we just miss you.

Two weeks and counting... I am now in the final stages of pulling together our activities, exhibits and things to see-and-do and I am wondering what and where you go for your info.

This will be our 19th trip to Italy and our longest stay in Rome, with 23 nights in an apartment through http://www.gruppodirienzo.com/en/.

Some of my web links are these:
Slow Europe, SlowTalk/Travel, Rome Museum.com, Parlafood.com, Wanted in Rome, Turismoroma.it, Coopculture.it

I need more! Help! Wendy
Do you know about The Eatery Sophie and husband put on a wonderful meal in their apartment. Everything from scratch. He's a chef at Thhe American Academy. If interested contact thru website. I also have her email. Very lovely and interesting people.

Yes, Lisa, we will just miss you. We leave that morning!
Chris,
I''d love to hear from you while there. I know you've been before. We are trining from Milan vial Bellagio the day before and overnighting in Firenze. We are then training to Chiusi and rentinga car from a local company across from train station.
Silly question but is tp provided in bathrooms?

I haven't been to Sant'Antonio before, although I've stayed in the general area. We're training to Chiusi (from Rome) and picking up a car too. I will check out the TP situation and let you know. I would expect at least a starter supply!

Hi ladies, yes, there is TP, though we might have bought some more at the coop in town (3 minutes away).
You will both love SA, Nico, his family and their animals. The grounds and pool area are just another slice of SA Heaven.

Chris and Lisa, two of our favorite restaurants from our stay at SA were;
Cantina Medicee - Montepulciano - outside the walls, just past the gelateria ( which will be on your right), built into the walls of Montepulciano you will find Cantina Medicee, where Nicolo cooks up great dishes and you can buy all sorts of goodies (our favorite grappa was found here).
GattaVecchi - inside the walls

Enjoy

We stayed at San Antonio last summer and drove to and from the train station in Chiusi when Ann R. was visiting us for the day. It is an easy drive and you get in and out of Chiusi easily.

Nico recommends a fruit and vegetable shop, with a deli (tavola calda) beside it (run by the same family). They are just before Montepulciano, on your left, at the intersection where you go right to go to Montepulciano (be careful at that intersection - it isn't clear who has the right of way). You park right in front of the shops. The fruit and vegetable selection was very good and the prepared meals were excellent. We used this for dinner twice during our week there. Nico will give you a map showing the location.

In the mornings I popped out for bread in Sant Albino. From SA, turn right on the main road and it is on your left with parking in front. A very good bakery - Nico recommended it. And very close.

Have a great trip Chris and Lisa!

You know the area don't you @Chris ? You and Frank stayed at La Fornacina near Montisi years ago, soon after we stayed there. We had a lot of fun on our trip re-visiting places we had seen before - Sant'Antimo, Monte Oliveto, that other church with the Sodoma frescoes on the road to Montisi, and all those nice towns.

Yes, we spent two weeks at La Fornacina in 2002. I loved the area and can't wait to revisit all those places.

After reading Pauline's post, I realized I should have added that the places I suggested, you will take a left out of the driveway

Thanks for all the wonderful info. We're meeting friends for lunch in Siena. Wonder if any restaurant recommendations. I may have to start a new thread for this question.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina