• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

What camera do you use for travel?

Pauline

Forums Admin
There have been a few camera discussions on other threads and it is an interesting topic. I used a small camera for years (Canon Elph) but a few years ago switched to a larger Canon, the G16. It is almost too big. I got a good case for it - a Crumpler - and that makes it easy to carry about. The Elph used to fit in a pocket.

I was going to go back to an Elph but then bought an iPhone and have been using it for photos. I used both my Canon and my iPhone on our last trip and will do some comparisons of photo quality. It is awkward using the iPhone for photos - I think I might drop it one day - but it is convenient since I have it with me always (tracking our walks!).

I need to put a wrist strap on my larger Canon. I worry about dropping it too. Of course I dropped my last small Canon and it had a wrist strap.

A photo of my camera and bag with my hand for scale.

camera_1128.jpg

I love taking photographs while I travel and have a few go to cameras. In most of my travel I take my Nikon DSLR because it takes wonderful photos. However, last year on my Camino, I only carried my Nikon AW130 because it was small, had Wi-Fi capability and was waterproof and shock proof. The photos were good and I really enjoyed traveling light.
  • Nikon DSLR D7000 (Shoots great photos, but heavy, No Wi-Fi
  • Nikon AW130 (Compact, takes good photos, Shockproof & Waterproof, Wi-Fi, Shoots Video, Doesn't shoot Raw, No view finder option, only display screen)
  • Nikon Coolpix 7700 (Fully Articulating Screen, Good Controls, Flash, Shoots Raw, Shoots
  • Fujifilm X-T2 Mirrorless (Wi-Fi, Tilting Screen, Good Controls, Shoots Raw, HD Video, Lighter than DSLR)
  • iTouch - I have used even my iTouch to snap photos if for some reason I can't get to my travel camera or I leave it in my hotel/Apartment when I don't want to carry it while exploring.
More and more I'm finding it harder to carry my Nikon DSLR because of the size and weight. And then I have to worry about it. For my upcoming trip I will probably leave it at home again and will take one of my smaller cameras.

One of the benefits I like about taking a camera is the ability to take loads of photos (SD Memory cards) without worrying about available space. My sister only takes photos with her phone, which takes great photos for her. My iPhone 6Plus takes great photos and video, but I don't like to take my iPhone on my travels (I take a travel phone) as I have Verizon and it's too expensive to use internationally.

On all my cameras I like to use a wrist strap for fear of dropping it. I would recommend one that has a quick release, so when you don't want to use the strap you can take it off. I like the OP/Tech USA Cam Strap $8.99 which I found on Amazon. For camera bags, I like the Lowepro Sling bag or Lowepro Sport Backpack.

TRAVEL CAMERAS.jpg

That looks like a lot to lug around. I have a Canon Powershot SX240HS point-and-shoot, which serves me pretty well (though no doubt it is long since superseded - but you tend to get good bargains looking for something that's about to be or is just recently superseded).

It's served me pretty well over several years. I rarely feel the need to look for really advanced photographic tricks, but I was surprised to find the video facility really useful for quite a lot of subjects. It's kept in a wallet that also holds the spare battery and SD memory cards, and that either goes in my day-bag, or it has a belt-loop, so I don't worry too much about dropping it.

Some results are here.

I am going through my trip photos and comparing some I took on my Canon with my iPhone.

basilicata-matera-0808.jpg

Matera with my iPhone

basilicata-matera-5760.jpg

Matera with my Canon

The coloring is very different! Warmer tones with the iPhone.
File size is similar:
img_0808 iphone 3,239kb
img_5760 canon 3,993kb

I swear by my tiny Sony RX100. I bought it half price in an Amazon sale a couple of years ago, and it is WAY better than any compact camera I have ever used. It has all the controls you'd expect from a much bigger camera, including the ability to shoot in raw, thus avoiding the colour balance problems in Pauline's example. It's very good in low light too. I have a Nikon DSLR too, but I only take the Sony when I travel by air because the Nikon with a couple of lenses would use up half my baggage allowance. The Sony's only downside is lack of a viewfinder, but later more expensive models have an electronic one. I don't bother with phone photos at all. I know some people get good results with phones, but I never have any success with it. I'd rather get guaranteed good quality photos with the Sony.

Here's a recent album of indoor and outdoor photos taken with the Sony.

Can you explain that more? Why are the colors so different in my photos?

You might want to check the settings of your camera, Pauline. Assuming that both your pics were taken at exactly the same time, you'd have to check what white balance was chosen, if any special effect was used, any camera preset (contrast, vividness, etc.), ND filter (if there is that option in the Canon), etc. I don't believe that the differences we see here are from the Canon's "straight-out-of-the-camera" jpg. engine, but could possibly be the outcome of the use of any of the above. Unless of course you say that the Canon's rendition is much more in line with what you actually saw.

If you can access the EXIF data of the Canon shot, you might be able to see this info. As far as I know, Iphone cameras don't have the ability to do these adjustments - although there are any number of effects that you can apply afterwards.

The iPhone photo is probably sharper because the depth of field on the iPhone is set so that everything from right in front of the camera to the horizon will be in sharp focus. On a digital camera, the depth of field will not always be set to a smaller aperture setting when shooting in the Auto or Program mode. Many compact digital cameras do have the ability though to shoot in Aperture Priority Mode, where you change the aperture to a smaller aperture, f/11 to f/16, for a photo of a scene such as you posted.

The other big difference is that the iPhone is programmed to over saturate the colors in a photo. This is done because many people prefer an oversaturated photo. Digital cameras are programmed to shoot more realistic colors, but there are settings on a camera to shoot with more vivid colors right out of the camera instead of editing them after downloaded.

There is also the sensor of the iPhone vs the digital camera that may come into play, but that is more complicated and something I can't even explain. I just read the reviews on that one.

Can you explain that more? Why are the colors so different in my photos?
Joe has more or less explained this. When you shoot in auto mode, the camera will decide what the white balance should be (i.e. how warm/cold the scene looks). In bright conditions this usually isn't a problem. The iPhone evidently defaults to a warmer result than the Canon. Your camera (but not the iPhone) probably lets you set white balance manually (to Daylight/Cloudy/Fluorescent etc.) to get the result you want. If it's wrong and you are shooting JPEGs, there's not a huge amount you can do about it after the fact. If you shoot in raw, all of the information the camera saw when you took the photo is retained, and you can change to a different white balance with a few clicks in programs like Lightroom and Photoshop (plus make a lot of other adjustments too, even recovering apparently lost detail in shadows).

BTW my Sony is about the size of your Canon. It has an unusually large sensor for a compact camera.

Pauline, my memory of Matera is that it looked more like the shot from the Canon than the one taken with your iPhone -- more white than brownish tones. So maybe you prefer the warmer tones, but I think the other is more accurate. Am I right? It's been a while since I was there, and all my photos were taken with a Canon, so perhaps my memory is "colored" by looking at my photos.

Anyway, I just got a Canon Elph 360, which I really love. My previous camera was also a Canon, which I think was about 8 years old. This new one has much better zoom (up to 12x optical). It is also smaller and lighter, so very easy to stick in my purse or pocket. I much prefer it to my iPhone for the zoom capability. It also has a lot of other features I am still discovering (as witness my post here). That photo, by the way, was taken from way on the other side of the river, and shows how good the zoom is.

It boils down to what you want to do with the travel pictures. If posting on a travel forum, Facebook, or Instagram a iPhone or any Smart Phone meets that challenge. However, if you want to blow up a shot to a 24" x 36" and print it on metal – not sure a handheld phone is the instrument you want to use.

Like some other above I am primarily a Canon guy, albeit for underwater I like my little Olympus point and shoot. I loved that Olympus to death, but the last trip to the USVI I saw the dreaded bubble come from the camera. I am in the market for another durable underwater point and shoot.

When I travel I always carry my Canon G15, which is large for a point and shoot but still easily fits in a pocket or nice belt carrier like Pauline showed, and it has a WONDERFUL piece of glass. I did not upgrade to the G16, or the one that was just released, because I felt that that the G16 added to many bells and whistles at the cost of durability and control. The zeal for camera companies (computer companies also) to make everything easier for the user “usually” comes at the cost. In the case of cameras it is usually the sensor, durability of the camera, or the piece glass in the lens. I never care about megapixels – no a major factor in quality.

My big camera body is a Canon EOS-50D. Yep another old one, but oh what a body! Single processor, but the sensor and noise specs exceeded anything out there at the time in the price range. Canon, fell into the trap to make a more competitive camera body with new “features” at a lower price, and moved away from the EOS 50D. What followed were the 60D and the 70D, and IMHO it lowered the family blood line considerably, which began with the 40D. My son has the Canon 7D which is a big step back in right direction, but to me it is not as balanced and clumsy and my old 50D still the one for me. I will just keep getting my 50D cleaned every couple years until I can afford a MK series body. However, then I would probably be scared to take on a trip due the investment. Which goes back to the original question of what camera do you travel with? To me it is not the question of camera, but what lens(es) do I take for the big camera, the G15 for sure, and waterproof if headed to the islands.

In the old days… the rule of the thumb when buying a stereo system was to put your money into the Cartridge (Needle) and the Speakers. Digital cameras are the same – It is the piece of Glass and the Sensor. A phone cannot offer either at high level of quality at this time.

I will say again, it is what do you want to do with the picture and how much time and effort you want to learn on operation of the equipment. Of course, the other factor I always consider is what I will be doing on vacation. If I was pilgrim walking the entire Camino de Santiago and had to carry everything, my Canon G15 would be all the extra weight I would want… In fact the little Olympus Underwater Point Shoot just may be all that is needed.

So here is three shots – with my three cameras. All have been compressed to a 1280 by X for upload.

150D.jpg

Canon EOS-50D

1G15.jpg

Canon G15

1Oly5050.jpg

My old Olympus Underwater - May you rest in peace

Not sure there is that big of a difference in the post, but ohhhhhhhhhh when you print them.

I would add a couple hints on things that have burned me when traveling with multiple cameras which now I always do: a) Take the time to sync the clocks on all cameras. It will make your life a lot easier sorting for a show later on. b) Always leave all cameras in AUTO so you are ready in instant. Best to get the picture if it happens fast than miss it trying to set for proper aperture or speed. Then take the time to set up the shot with your artistic choices.

Personally when it comes to smart phones, I wish the phone manufactures would use the available space in those amazing little boxes to improve the TRANSMITTER and the RECIEVER - We have reached a point that Smart Phones are everything, but a phone. But of course I live in a very rural location and signal strength is minimal.

Last edited:
The best camera is the one you have with you. If you don't get the shot what good is the most expensive camera in the world back in your room? I have gotten a couple really good shots with my cell because I had it with me. If I am out taking landscape shots no problem with a big DSLR but sometimes the best shot is the one that happens in daily life. On the moments notice.

I see Chinese tourists loaded down with cameras and lenses and I sometimes wonder if they only experience their trip in the camera?

I find it interesting that we are discussing this because it is not a widely discussed topic on other forums. Maybe the difference between slow travel and if this is Tuesday....

What I have for cameras is the Samsung 7 with a big SD card and an older great camera a Pentax DSLR. It takes a licking and keeps on ticking. Dust storms, snow, 122 degree heat. She is on her last legs and this is probably her final trip. :'(

Yep… I am one of those who tends to carry more on trip than most would desire. Albeit it is still less than most ladies’ pocketbooks full of guidebooks ;). Rome Addict is exactly right, “The best camera is the one you have with you”, and that is why my G15 almost goes everywhere. The crop duster picture above I was driving down a country road and saw it coming streaking across a field at me – I jumped out of my car and SNAP. I am not sure a phone would have stopped the plane in flight.

To lug or not to lug the big boy is always the question. I am just the opposite of wanting to take my DSLR for landscapes - People faces are what I am always in search of. Nothing tells me more about a place than the look in someone’s eye who lives there. And high resolution is the key to capture those moments.

On an earlier picture that I posted on Photo #6 (Festival & Celebrations) the face of this angelic drummer boy in Siena. I probably could have got this one with a telephone, but a few shots earlier all the effort of carrying a large camera were rewarded. When the drums started for the parade, I heard a squeal from above. I turned looked up quickly focused and click (yep in Auto) and the resultant is one of my favorite shots. This young girl stuck her head out of a small opening probably 30 feet above me. Her eyes tell you everything – There is a parade! Believe me from that distance a phone is not going to do it.

SnaGirl.jpg

So now that I have reached three scores in age, I am still willing to look like a tourist and lug the big boy around in hopes of finding a face to tell me a story. And yes, one must always be vigilant, because you never know who is watching.

bug1wp.jpg

I am still not sure what I will be taking with me. Plan A was to take my Canon SL1 DSLR with 2 pancake lenses (24mm & 40mm) and my old Canon Elph 300. The Canon Elph 300 takes ok pictures but does a great job with videos. After reading about the possible Europe laptop ban (which includes all electronics larger than a phone and for me the camera restrictions are the bigger thing), I decided to order the Canon PowerShot G9 X Mark II as my main travel camera in case the ban happens. I may still have to check this new camera, but it less likely will be damaged in checked luggage and hopefully I can pack it so that it won't easily be stolen by the luggage handlers.

I did a last minute search for this new camera. My criteria was to find one that shoots raw, is compact, takes good videos, and one that does well in lowlight situations. The bonus for this camera is that I can transfer photos onto my iPhone to post online (if I do not take my laptop) & I can send photos to people while I am traveling. This new camera has a touch screen that operates most of the controls. It is going to be an on the go learning process for me since I just got it and will only have a few days to learn all the ins and outs of the camera before I leave on my trip. The G9 X Mark II is from the same line as the S95, which I used in my classroom while teaching. That camera did a great job with inside shots in horrible lighting situations. Hopefully, this new camera will do the same. Roz, your new Canon Elph 360 looks like a great buy! I would have gone with that, but I wanted a camera that could shoot raw. This one is almost the same size except it is a little thicker. It is more expensive, but photography is one of my hobbies and I hope it will be a good investment. I will more likely take that camera with me in more every day life situations than my SL1.

I also will have my iPhone with me, but prefer not to use it as my main camera because of limitations of space on my phone as well as preferring to keep it safely stashed away while out and about in busier locations where theft could occur. I have also found that it can be awkward when trying to capture something and on sunny days, it is often difficult to see exactly what you are shooting on the screen.

I agree that the best camera is the one you have with you, to get that great shot, and I love that I now always at least have my iPhone with me, but for the reasons above as well as hoping to print out some pictures from my trip and want the best options possible.

So, now depending on what I decide, I will either take my SL1 and my new Canon G9X Mark II or just my Canon G9X Mark II. I am leaning more towards just my new little compact camera. Here are a couple of photos to show the size of the cameras (with my Canon Elph included for scale). The one thing I did not like about my new camera is the wrist strap. I switched out the strap from my Elph and put an older strap on that camera.

IMG_8110.JPG

IMG_8109.JPG

I used to carry an SLR with all the accessories, etc. (it went to the Middle East and North Africa). In the days of film, I took slides, then printed the photos I wanted to keep.

Instead of going with a DSLR (I was still skeptical of digital at that point), I purchased a smaller form factor digital Canon SX10 IS. That camera (at the time) was considered one step down from a DSLR and called a "pro-consumer." I loved the macro focus and the long zoom capabilities.

Then, I downsized to a smaller Canon (Canon PowerShot SD800 IS Digital Elph, 7.1 megapixels), then to a Nikon point-and-shoot. Finally, in 2012, my late husband and I took our iPhones to Antibes and Paris. I've not carried a separate camera since.

For 10 years, I was a garden blogger (and freelanced for North Carolina tourism and garden center marketing companies), and used my cameras for photographing flowers (many photos were purchased by garden book authors, garden center marketing catalogs; and, my tourism photos of North Carolina were often purchased by the PR company for the state website). No one ever complained about the quality of the photos with the Canon SX10, which is the one I used for those photos.

If I were going on a "photography" trip, I would dig out my Canon with the long zoom or perhaps even spring for a new camera, since that one is now six or seven years old. For traveling like I do now, the iPhone 6s is fine with me and since I never check a bag and must now carry my own bags, traveling light wins over taking an extra camera.

I still have all of those cameras, except the SLR, which is now an "object d'art" for my stepson's wife since it is 35 years old!

Photos of Paris with iPhone 4s (I now have a 6s)

Photos of Paris with Canon SX10 IS

Yes it is a hassle to pack and carry around.

And if they do the electronics ban, it may make it impossible to travel with DSLR and gear.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina