• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

What size rental car in Basilicata?

Anne

100+ Posts
We're going to have a rental car for our two weeks in Basilicata. My husband (whose not coming on the trip) seems to think I should get at least a mid-size, but I'm seriously concerned that will be too big to manoeuvre around/park in small towns. I want as small as possible, but also obviously need an engine with enough power for (possibly remote) mountain roads. I'm not sure if I need to be concerned or not about the economy sized cars not being able to handle the mountains...maybe it's not a problem at all.

I'm wondering if anyone has thoughts on what model rental car might be a better (or worse) choice for this area?

At home in Nova Scotia, I drive a tiny Nissan Micra with a manual transmission.
In Europe, I've driven around southern Tuscany in a Fiat 500 sport (a side street in Radicofani defeated me - had to back down and get a run on - but otherwise we managed fine.) And I've driven a Renault Clio around the Vaucluse area of Provence (not to the top of Mt Ventoux but close.) Are the mountains in Basilicata steeper/rougher than in Vaucluse and/or southern Tuscany?

When are you going to Basilicata, Anne? I'm envious. That was the trip I was planning for last year. Got postponed but hope to go soon. I think Valerie is a member here. She lives in Basilicata and does travel planning. Perhaps she has some suggestions for you.

We always go for the smallest models, for just the reasons you mention. I'm sure that you'll find that the majority of people living in Basilicata hill villages drive Fiat Pandas & 500s without problems!

We usually rent a compact in Europe, one size up from the smallest, but for our trip to Puglia and Basilicata we went down a size - Audi A1 or similar Economy. We had the Audi A1 last summer on our Tuscany trip and we really liked it. Plus a smaller car is good for driving those narrow country roads.

In England we drive a VW Golf which I now think of as a big car. When we have to get a new car we will go smaller.

@Valerie what size car do you drive in Basilicata?

Deborah - Mom and I are spending June in Italy to celebrate my upcoming ordination! Basilicata is the second half of the month, after a week in Florence and 5 nights in Naples. I'm so excited!! First time to Naples and Basilicata! I recently re-watched the House Hunters episode that featured Valerie and her husband, and have her website bookmarked! If we are in/near her town, I hope to get in touch, would be lovely to meet for lunch or something.

Jonathan and Pauline - thanks, that's just what I was hoping to hear! I think we'll stick with the economy size...AutoEurope has Pandas for $317 for two weeks, which seems like a good deal. We're planning to travel light, so hopefully won't have a problem fitting in two small suitcases.

During my travel research, I just came across this - blog entry - in which Bryan writes: "...it seems that one in five vehicles on the road in Basilicata is a Fiat Panda. The Unofficial Car of Basilicata. They are a very practical vehicle for this mountainous region with a high clearance, easy parking ability and very good gas mileage (40 to 50 mpg)."

Sounds good to me - I'm glad I went ahead and booked a Panda!

Smaller is better, some of the towns have narrow streets and it's just less stressful than wondering if you're going to scrape up the car (which, btw, has happened to us :blushing: )

Give us a holler, we'd love to meet up! Trivigno is right off the Basentana highway, so wherever you travel, you'll probably have to drive right past us!

They gave us a larger car than we wanted, a Toyota Auris station wagon!! We ordered an automatic and there was nothing smaller. It barely fits between the lines in the parking spots. But it is okay because things are not that crowded here. A smaller car would be much better.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina