• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Where in Provence?

JChrisP

We're planning a quick trip to Provence next spring, from our place in Casperia, both of Rome. We don't want to base in Avignon because of concern about driving in and out, since we'll be touring the area pretty much every day. We're thinking if basing in Saint Remy. Any thoughts are to whether or not that'd be a good choice?

I like Saint Remy a lot. We visited a couple of times on day trips and last year we spent one night there after flying into Marseilles. It is a nice sized town, very beautiful, lots of restaurants and cafes, good shopping. Very easy to drive in and out of. It would make a good base for seeing that part of Provence.

The only problem that I have with the town is that accommodation seems to be very expensive. I looked at vacation rentals there last year and everything seemed expensive, but I was looking for 2 bedrooms (we were traveling with a friend) instead of our usual 1 bedroom, and I was not booking very far ahead - so I may be wrong. It is a popular town.

@Chris stayed there once for a longer stay, and maybe she will post.

When I was looking for somewhere to stay in that area, I also considered L'Isle sur la Sorgue. I have only been there once on a day trip, but it is a cute town. If you are still looking at other places, I would not recommend Beaucaire on the Languedoc/Tuscany border. I just didn't like that town.

One place that is an hour away that I really love, but may not be in the area you want to visit, is Uzes, a small town north of Nimes, near the Pont du Gard. We have visited there three times in the last few years (a week or more each time). If you are interested I wrote about our trip in the Trip Reports section.

You probably know all the things you want to see in the area, but I will mention a few just in case. Close to St Remy is Glanum, the remains of an Ancient Roman town (see my day trip for Glanum). The Van Gogh museum is on the northern edge of town. There is a walking trail around town featuring scenes from Van Gogh paintings.

Another Ancient Roman thing that I love (and was told about by @Chris and @Kathy) is the Barbegal Aqueduct and Mill (see my day trip for Barbegal).

And you are very close to Arles (see my day trip for the Arles Amphitheater) and all it has to offer.

What things are you planning to do and see in the area?

Actually, I haven't had a long stay in Saint Remy, three nights once in a hotel I didn't like very much. If you want to stay in that area, I would look at Maussane, which is nearby and not quite as touristy and congested as Saint Remy sometimes is. You should also consider staying in one of the smaller villages in the Luberon, such as Bonnieux. It is such a beautiful area and very convenient for daytrips in all directions. @Kathy, who you may recognize from slowtrav.com, has a wonderful photo page about the Luberon on the website for her small group tours of the area.

I also love Uzès, but it's kind of remote from most of the sights you'll probably want to see as a first-time visitor.

Thank you both, Pauline and Chris. Now that we've picked our home base we'll start planning the details.

Sorry. We're going with Saint-Remy. Like the location and, as first timers, I'm sure we'll do all the usual tourist stuff.
Thanks again for your help.

Have a wonderful trip! I really love the market in Eygalieres, which is nearby, and the Roman ruins at Glanum, the Saint Paul Sanitorium where Van Gogh spent his last months, and Les Baux are all terrific places to visit.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina