• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Where to stop?

jan

100+ Posts
If everything works out:
We will be driving from Sulmona, having spent a week there, to Pesaro for 2 nights in a hotel.
(Our Spring itinerary starts with 10 nights in Rome and after Pesaro, 3 nights in Bologna, a month in Venice and a week in Barcelona)
So the question is:
Where would be nice to stop on the Adriatic coast, between Sulmona and Pesaro? We may be inclined to just go straight there because it's such a short visit. My mind is wandering to our trip this morning so though it might be fun to get your feedback.
Thanks all.

Personally, I'd just drive it straight through and use the extra time to visit San Marino (touristy, but still with beautiful views).

We are doing a similar route in late April/Early May. We have 3 nights between our week in Sulmona and 10 days in Marche near Tolentino ( and then on to Ravenna and Ferrara). We have booked an Agriturismo outside Giulianova, which looks like an interesting town for a couple of days. We will be staying at L'Orso e L'Ape for the three nights. http://www.orsoeape.it/

I would be most interested in hearing about your stay in Sulmona, as this will be our first time there.

Jan - We will be in Sulmona from April 21 until April 29. We rented an apartment at 11 Gramsci - La Finestra Sulmo

Penn-- I don't know where you are coming from but we will be coming from Rome. Our transfer day is Sunday and there is only one "regular" bus scheduled. The owners told me about the ProntoBus which seems to be a shuttle service from Tiburtina to various towns in Abruzzo. Here's the link if you want to take a look:

Thanks Jan - we too are coming from Rome. There is a direct train from Rome Termini to Sulmona in the mid-afternoon. We have been planning on taking that. I will check out the bus option also in case we need a back-up plan.

Some years ago, we spent a few days in Portonovo on the coast just south of Ancona and near the Parco Regionale nel Conero. It was a beautiful area. Not sure if the park will be open, but gorgeous views and hiking trails. Great sea food. In summer it's very beachy and touristed, but in April, I don't know.

Closer ot Pesaro is Senigallia, which in the off season could be really nice. Gorgeous beach which will be empty - check out Palazzetto Baviera and the Rocco - catch a sunrise from the Rotunda a Mare (if you are an early riser) - good food.

Closer ot Pesaro is Senigallia, which in the off season could be really nice. Gorgeous beach which will be empty - check out Palazzetto Baviera and the Rocco - catch a sunrise from the Rotunda a Mare (if you are an early riser) - good food.
I second the recommendation for Senigallia. We've spent time in both Pesaro and Urbino and Ancona Provinces every time we've gone to Italy the past 11 years. We usually stay in an apartment at our friends' guest house in Morro d'Alba which is only about 15 minutes inland from Senigallia, so we've been to Senigallia many times now. Beautiful, long, all sand beach, nice old town and a castle in town, too. Several good seafood restaurants on the beachfront. And, it will be really quiet in early April. We'll be in Marche again for almost 2 weeks in May (14-26 May) - one week at a country house outside Cagli (close to the mountains), then 5 days in Morro d'Alba. I am so looking forward to being in Marche again!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina