• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Who Loves Madrid, and Why?

Jan55612

100+ Posts
We are headed to Spain this fall. We'll only have three days to be in Barcelona again before we head south. After a week in the Priorat wine tasting and cooking, we'll continue on to Madrid for two weeks. We've never been to Madrid and are anxious to explore all it has to offer. I would love to hear from those of you who love Madrid. What do you love? Please share you "favorites" with me and help me plan this part of our trip.

I love this place, In this city, the rhythm of everyday life is affected by the climate. The fierce heat of the early afternoon makes a siesta, or rest, really necessary.

<< from admin: link removed because it seemed like spam >>

Last edited by a moderator:
I love, love, love Madrid. I have been there on three separate occasions - once for 5 days, once for a week and the last time for two weeks.

My very favorite of the big museums is the Museo de Arte Thyssen Bornemisza.http://www.museothyssen.org/en/thyssen/coleccion Definitely a place for an all-day visit, but also note that their is free entry to the permanent collection from noon to 4 p.m. on Mondays.

A true gem of a museum is the Real Academia de Bellas Artes de San Fernando.http://www.realacademiabellasartessanfernando.com/es/museo

Another wonderful place to visit is Monastery of Las Descalzas Reales.
http://www.patrimonionacional.es/en/real-sitio/monasterios/8291 It is open limited hours and there are only a limited number of people who can enter, but I have always arrived 20 minutes before opening and gotten a place. It is a cloistered monastery.

Another place I enjoyed is the Museum of the Americas.http://www.mecd.gob.es/museodeamerica/el-museo.html There are amazing collections of pre-Columbian art from all over central and South America. It is not in the center of Madrid, but it is easy to either take a bus or walk to if the weather is nice.

There is almost always a nice exhibition at the Caixa Forum in Madrid, which is located near the big three museums and the Atocha Train Station, which is another must-see. Caixa Forum is always free. http://obrasocial.lacaixa.es/nuestroscentros/caixaforummadrid/caixaforummadrid_es.html

There are many wonderful restaurants and shops throughout Madrid. One things I also loved about Madrid is the breakfasts. I first found that you could get a breakfast consisting of fresh orange juice, coffee and a pastry for about 3 euro in the chain fast-food eateries, but I soon found out that you can go in almost any bar and get the same thing for the same price. Don't remember exactly where I went, but there are plenty of nice places to have your morning breakfast for a very reasonable price.

Enjoy Madrid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jan, it's been a long time (2008) since I visited Madrid but I remember really enjoying my visit even though my time was limited to only 4 days. In my short time I managed to visit one of their many great museums, the Museo nacional del Prado, I also visited The Parque del Retiro, The Almudena Cathedral (was there for the famous Fiesta de la Almudena), Plaza Mayor. I got my first introduction to eating at a tapa bar and sampling their churros. I managed to sneak in a day trip to the town of Toledo (highly recommend this as a possible day trip), which is only a short train ride away. I enjoyed myself and wish I had more time there to explore the other many sights. I hope to get a chance to revisit Madrid again in 2016. :)

I started this thread in March to learn what others had loved about Madrid in preparation for trip to Madrid in October/November of this year. Now that I am home I thought I should offer a few thoughts about Madrid.

First of all, we LOVED Madrid. Although Madrid is a large, noisy city, it is possible to walk to many of the key places of interest. We liked the energy, the vibe, the accessibility of the city, the food and wine, and most of all, the tremendous variety, high quality, and large quantity of art.

Art
We visited the three biggies:
Museo de Arte Thyssen Bornemisza. http://www.museothyssen.org/en/,
Museo Nacional Del Prado https://www.museodelprado.es/en/,
and the Museo Nacional Centro De Arte Reina Sofia http://www.museoreinasofia.es/en.
There were special exhibits in some of these museums, including a fabulous retrospective of the works of Edvard Munch. We also enjoyed several exhibits at the Caixa Forum and the breathtaking Kandinsky exhibit at the Centro Cibeles. The Fundacion Juan March had a good retrospective of the work of Max Bill, and the Fundacion MAPFRE had a very good retrospective of the work of Pierre Bonnard. In addition, we spent a couple of days gallery hopping in the contemporary art galleries that are prevalent in central Madrid.

Food
We started our time in Madrid by joining a Madrid Food Tour (madridfoodtour.com) to learn about tapas culture in Madrid. It was a good experience. We spent an entire evening-4.5-5 hours eating a wide variety of food and drinking a variety of red wine, white wine, and vermut. Although it was much more than we would normally consume in an evening, it was great fun. The group had 2 from Denmark, 2 from Sweden, 1 from Great Britain, 1 from Canada, 1 from NYC, and one from Morocco. The group leader was a young Brit.

We tried Vinotecca Barbechera in the Plaza Santa Ana several times. It is good for either a glass of wine, which is served with potato chips, or other food, that works as a meal. It is open non-stop so it is great when you want food at a not-necessarily-meal-time. (Shannon Essa's suggestion.) We had good menu del dia lunches at Momo and Bacira. Another lovely mid-day meal at Vinoteca Moratin.

One Sunday we had lunch at Taverna Arzabal, which is an energetic, fun place, with great food. Many locals enjoying the day with friends and families.

Our favorite meal was at lakasa. It has a number of interesting menu items that can be ordered full or half portion. It also has a great cheese board.

We returned to one place three times for lunch: Piccolo Diavolo. It is an Italian restaurant, which has great pizzas, pretty good pastas, and excellent salads. (Another Shannon Essa suggestion.) Nice to become "regulars" and get good-bye hugs and kisses.

We also returned to some of the bars we visited during the tour, plus a couple of others that I had found through reading before we left: Casa Revuelta for Bacalao (fried cod) and beer and Casa Toni for fried eggplant, calamari, and lots of other great stuff are the ones that come immediately to mind.

I know I have left some good ones out....... One that I would not go back to is TriCiclo. Highly hyped and reviewed. Pleased to snag a reservation, but the service was terrible and the food had it's ups and downs.

If you are heading to Madrid and have any other questions that I can answer, I would be happy to help. But, do go to Madrid!

Hi Jan,

It sounds like you had a wonderful trip. I love Madrid too. I'm heading back to Spain in 2016. I'm not sure if I'll be able to squeeze Madrid in, but if I do, I'll be sure to try these places. Thanks so much for your wonderful report.

Lisa,
Vinotecca Barbecherra is right on the Plaza Santa Ana. Moratin is not far away and Piccolo Diavolo is also close. Momo and Bacira are walkable, but on the other side of the Gran Via. lakasa is either a LONG walk, a metro ride, or a taxi ride away. (We went at night and opted to grab a cab home.) Taverna Arzabal is across Retiro Park from you, as is La Castella, which I forgot to mention. We went on Sunday at mid-afternoon to each of them and walked through the park. Casa Revuelta is very near Plaza Mayor and Casa Toni is not far from you, on Calle de la Cruz.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina