• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Wild by Cheryl Strayed

Pauline

Forums Admin
I am loving this book. If you are a hiker/walker, you will love all the details of her walk on the Pacific Crest Trail.

She walked from the Mojave Desert in southern California to northern Oregon. It is a very personal book about her life until she did the walk, but she also describes the hike in detail. She did the hike in the 1990s before there were all the online resources. She had very little money, walked alone, camped along the trail (you have to - it does not pass through towns).

This is very different from the walking that we do in the UK and Europe. It is more "wild" - she is far away from other people. In the UK it seem that you are usually a few hours from a town or pub. We did some wild US and Canada hiking when we were younger, but nothing like this.

They made a movie of this book and I think it got bad reviews - but I put it on our rental list.

I started to watch the movie and found it unwatchable. I was disappointed because I really wanted to see it. Frank talked about how he had wanted to walk the Pacific Crest Trail, but never had the time to do it. He did various parts of it until his knees wouldn't let him anymore.

You might like the book. We will watch the movie this week and I will let you know what I think of it. If I like it, you should probably skip the book :)

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina