• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Zurers in Italy - Spring 2018

Jim Zurer

500+ Posts
Contest 2019 Winner!
Jan inspired me to post my just completed itinerary for our Spring trip....it is the 25th anniversary of our first trip to Italy in 1993 when we visited my sister who had a teaching Fulbright in Florence. We have gone back at least once every year since then. This year we will spend most of our time in the northeast--Friuli and the Veneto. We were last in Friuli in 2000 so it is about time for another look.

We fly out of Newark to Rome on April 16....

April 17-19: Bologna: Meeting our Swedish friends Ulf and Elinor
April 19-22: Conegliano: in Prosecco country between Treviso and Belluno
April 22-26: Trieste
April 26-29: Gorizia
April 29-May 3: Udine (We had to rearrange this part of the trip because Udine was full the week before as it is the location for the Far East Film Festival.)
May 3-7: Asolo: foothills of the Dolomites
May 7-10: Crema: location of the film "Call Me By Your Name"
May 10-13: Lerici: one of our happiest places in Italy
May 13-17:: Rome :D

On May 17, we fly back from Rome to Newark.

This is the second time we are flying out of Newark because the United non-stop to Rome is about half the price of flying on a connecting flight out of Washington DC. We are driving there and back in reasonably priced one-rentals from Alamo....I find it preferable to drive and fly non-stop rather than connecting in NYC or somewhere in Europe.

Zurers in Italy 2018.jpg

A. Leonardo da Vinci International Airport Rome

B. Bologna

C. Conegliano

D. Trieste

E. Gorizia

F. Udine

G. Asolo,

H. Crema

I. Lerici

J. Rome

Last edited:
Oh! Crema looked so idyllic in the movie!
We only spent one half-day in Asolo, hiked up to the top of (fill in the blank) the hill right in town. Gorgeous!

Will you have a car the whole time?
Where will you stay? Mostly hotels, I'm guessing?
Doria Park in Lerici?

Too bad we don't even come close to crossing paths anywhere unless you stop for dinner in Venice on May 7th.

We will have a car until we return to Rome and we are definitely hotel people. :) Doria Park for sure.....I hope we can still manage the steps and the hill...

Don't think that dinner on the 7th is in the cards, unfortunately. We will be enroute to Crema.

The hotel owner in Crema said that they are experiencing a jump in tourism since the film came out.

You're going to be in the neighborhood of Fogliano Redipuglia if you have an interest in WW I history on that front of the war. The military cemetery there is very striking.

One of the places I've always considered a hidden gem is Udine -- but everything on your list looks like a great place to stop and wander. Enjoy!!

Sorry to hear that. Take care.
==============
Bob, sorry to hear that. I want to personally thank you for all of your most valuable contributions on SlowTravel over the years. Your input has been most appreciated by the entire community and me. "Bob the Navigator" is a moniker that will be remembered for a long time to come. Best of luck in dealing with your situation.

That is so true. CaWino, I want to piggy back on your comment of appreciation to Bob. Bob, I too found your advice and wonderful commentary most helpful over the years. I think I joined SlowTravel in 2005, so I've read a good many and always looked forward to them! Thank you and take care.

Bob, it's wonderful to hear from you again -- Paul and I send you our best. I still remember getting to meet you and Susan at last in person for lunch in Bagno Vignoni:
266.jpg

Last edited:

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina