• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Weather in southern England: How bad IS it?

Ted in Ottawa

We are scheduled to fly to London on April 30. We can cancel until 48 hours prior to departure.
I've been watching the weather forecasts for Wiltshire, Somerset, West and East Sussex for some time now. It looks as though the cool, wet weather will continue for the foreseeable future, according to the UK Met Office and some weather sites. But the language in their forecasts is so vague, equivocal and nuanced that I wonder if I'm getting the right picture,
Has anyone had first hand experience of recent days and/or this season generally in S England? Any insights to offer?
Our itinerary includes a lot of National Trust houses and gardens, but no trekking or strenuous outdoor activities. TBH,the NT website has spooked me, with its frequent warnings that "Parking is limited, as half our parking area is submerged." and "The rhododendron walk is currently closed because of dangerous muddy conditions" etc etc.

We were in Somerset a week ago. Weather pretty much as usual in Weston-super-mare - two days of freezing gales, three pleasant mild days with sun, one day windy with a couple of showers, last day an hour of rain lashing down first thing followed by an acceptable day. ..... weather in the UK basically.... although it has been poorish (my parents live there and keep me updated) so long maybe you'll get it better. You'll never go if you wait for 'good weather '...... Waterproof jackets and shoes and warm clothes just in case...

Yes it's been cooler than usual this spring , though not especially wet. Also regular but not excessive wind (which does help dry any flooding).

Definitely not a reason to cancel, as cooler weather can be better for an active holiday, and scenery can still be excellent irrespective of weather. Flooding / mud can quickly recede with 2-3 clear, dry, windy days.

Dont cancel..unless you can visit later in the year when the weather might be better or not !
Spring is such a very special time in the gardens you probably want to visit even if its muddy & things are flowering at the wrong time.
I live about 22 miles from London in Surrey & yes the weather has been disappointing and very wet in my corner of S E England but most days this last two weeks or so have been “ useable”. There can be no guarantees of course.
I know my way round many gardens, houses too in the counties you mention by the way.
My current favourite is; https://thenewtinsomerset.com/
a modern interpretation of Penelope Hobhouse’s home and gardens for many years.
I’ve visited in dreadful weather and still managed to enjoy a rewarding couple of hours. That may be on your list of course.
It’s a tough call & only you can decide…bring wellies!

Last edited:

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina