• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Requesting feedback for Languedoc-Roussillon itinerary by train

skngpeace

We are traveling to Languedoc-Roussillon in late September 2024, arriving to and departing from Toulouse. We will be in-country for 10 days, and will only be using public transportation. We would like to visit the following cities/villages: Toulouse, Albi, Cordes-sur-Ciel, Carcassone, Narbonne, Beziers, Montpellier, Nimes. We also would like to ride le Petit Train Jaune, but it seems a bit much for a day trip from Narbonne, so I'm wondering how might we schedule a trip from Narbonne to Villefranche-de-Conflent, then catch the Yellow Train to ride it to Bourg-Madame, then get off, walk into Puigcerda for lunch, then ride the train back to someplace for the night? What would be the best place to spend the night. Villefranche looks lovely, and interesting with the other local attractions, but is there another good option? Our budget is modest, but not so modest that we'll stay in a hostel. Also, should we plan to get off the Yellow Train at other villages, or is the scenery the highlight of that trip, and will we be missing something if we don't go all the way to Latour de Carol? Another question: rather than staying different nights in Beziers, Montpellier, and Nimes, is it reasonable to stay in one of these places and make day trips to these others? Of these places, do I need to consider that businesses will be closed on Sundays and Mondays more than at other locations? I'd like to consider that as I plan my itinerary. Thank you very much for your input!

All the places you are travelling to are in Occitanie where I live, and there's a really good website that covers all the regioal and national public transport here https://www.lio-occitanie.fr/. Le Petit Train Jaune is fun.. if you catch an early train from Narbonne to Perpignan, then catch the petit train... problem with Villefranche is it has almost no place to stay within the walls if you don't have a car.. you're better off spending the night in the ok hotel Terminus in Puigcerdà. The scenry is the highlight. I would make a day trip to Beziers rather than spend a night. Most businesses in France are open Sun morning but many close Mon, although lately many museums close on Tuesdays to add to the confusion! Figure out your priorities and schedule around the closing days.

@Dana, thank you for your thoughtful reply! Your suggestions are very helpful! One more question, for you, or anyone else reading: considering our initial itinerary, what might be the most laid-back and nice Mediterranean beach that is easily accessibly by public transportation? I don't imagine crowding is an issue that time of year, and we don't need a big resort beach. Not too far out of the way and accessible is most important. Thank you!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina