• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

2023, Spring Northern Italy 2

BEERMAN

100+ Posts
April 11-25, 2023

We slept well on our first night in Florence, woke up around 0800. The B&B provided coffee, tea and some basic snacks which we enjoyed in our comfortable room. We had previously talked about taking a train to day trip somewhere, but we reconsidered after getting a late start, not to mention the weather forecast was iffy all over the region. We decided to keep the day relaxed and would just walk around enjoying the simple fact that we were here.

_T3A9786.JPG

_T3A9798.JPG

UT3A9858.JPG

unnamed (10).jpg

UT3A9855.JPG

It was an overcast day, yet we would realize that our rain coats were unnecessary. It was fun to people watch but we eventually escaped the enthusiastic crowds and wandered the side streets of Firenze. We happened upon Piazza San Pier Maggiore where we found a quiet spot for lunch. This spot was home to an 11th century monastery of which only the arches remain today, oh and the not so insignificant tower home of Dante still stands.

_T3A9802 (2).JPG

_T3A9804.JPG

unnamed (2).jpg

My simple understanding of medieval history is that during Dante's time the Ghibellines (Roman Empire influenced) ruled the town and then the other political party the Guelfs (pro-Papal rule party) at some point took over Florence. As with politics there was infighting within the Guelfs itself...party split between the Black Guelf faction which supported Papal Rule and the White Guelfs favoring independent rule, Dante was affiliated and apparently fought with the White Guelfs calvary. The Black Guelfs eventually exiled many on the opposing side including Dante, unfortunately he would never return to his home in Florence. Now that I've read a little about the history... I find it interesting that we had lunch at Cafe I Ghibellini, which curiously sits within the shadows of the towering home of Dante, history is cool right! Again , my knowledge of the history is minimal and would enjoy hearing your knowledge if interested in sharing.

unnamed (5).jpg

We really enjoyed our first pizzas of the trip. Always pleasantly surprised that a great pizza can cost less than 10 euros! Declining a take away box we proceeded to wander. We walked around the Basilica di Santa Croce and decided to not tour it because of the number of school groups that were lined up, but we will secure a ticket on a future trip. Around the back of Santa Croce we saw a sign for the Scuola de Cuoio. If you like fine leather we recommend a stop here. We were fortunate to meet Francesca Gori, the Gori family has owned and operated the school since around 1950. Francesca was busy making her one of a kind hand bags, but graciously took the time to give us some history, explain her craft and even introduced us to one of her "artists" to explain the engraving process. Of course we bought a couple items and Giuseppe engraved them for us.

_T3A9811 (2).JPG

UT3A9814 (2).JPG

_T3A9830.JPG

_T3A9832.JPG

UT3A9834 (2).JPG

unnamed (6).jpg

With perhaps the finest leather goods in hand we ventured back onto the cobblestones. We found an open table at a cafe on Piazza Santa Croce and enjoyed a glass of Chianti. While enjoying our beautiful surroundings we jumped ahead discussing our trip itinerary. We knew the following day we would pick up the car and drive to our airbnb in Pienza, but our 4 nights in Liguria still was unknown.... oh well, we will figure that out later and continued to walk.

UT3A9853.JPG

unnamed.jpg

UT3A9851.JPG
_T3A9843 (2).JPG

Next stop was bustling Palazzo Vecchio. We spent a bit of time looking at the imposing sculptures on display, so many amazing works of art. We went inside of the museum as far as we could without a formal tour, wonderful place. There was a large open air market around the corner and we shopped a little, my wife found a couple colorful gifts to take home, she loves scarves!

_T3A9871 (2).JPG

_T3A9867.JPG

_T3A9865.JPG

_T3A9863 (2).JPG

UT3A9860 (2).JPG

UT3A9869.JPG

unnamed (3).jpg

unnamed (4).jpg

_T3A9808 (2).JPG

The remainder of our afternoon included more walking and a snack along the Arno, love walking along the river. The day really flew by and before we knew it was close to dinner time, time to freshen up! We made an 8pm reservation at Trattoria Parione. We dined upstairs here in 2018 and this time we were seated in the cozy cellar, nice spot surrounded by wine. The wine, food and atmosphere was as perfect as we remembered from 5 years ago. The dinner was relaxed and quiet, but nearing dessert we discovered a birthday celebration was amongst us! After singing happy birthday and meeting our fellow diners the waiter started generously pouring us more wine, then more wine! Our nice dining neighbors were from Canada and we had great conversation. They told us they modified their trip from southern Italy to the north to escape the persistent rain, interesting. Their new itinerary was similar to ours and we all hoped the weather would stay in our favor! Ciao, until we meet again!
_T3A9878.JPG

_T3A9881.JPG

unnamed (1).jpg

unnamed (8).jpg

unnamed (9).jpg

Last edited:
@BEERMAN - thanks for another great report and all the fantastic pics! We have always loved Florence, but have been forced to travel in the summer as my wife was a teacher. It seems April was a good time and not crowed at all - is that true?

We have only been in Sept/Oct and now April. There were plenty of people with the school groups, but my guess is much lighter than summer months. I've been delayed getting the reports out because I spend a lot of time at our WV cabin.....but hopefully I'll get next report out before I head back to the mountain on Friday.

@BEERMAN - thanks for another great report and all the fantastic pics! We have always loved Florence, but have been forced to travel in the summer as my wife was a teacher. It seems April was a good time and not crowed at all - is that true?

April/May & September/October are very much our preferred months for going to Italy, though we've also done November, December & March. My very first trip though was in early July. Great for a sun tan, but generally not great for exploring, and it can certainly be limiting if it's so hot that being inside in the middle of the day is near essential.

April/May & September/October are very much our preferred months for going to Italy, though we've also done November, December & March. My very first trip though was in early July. Great for a sun tan, but generally not great for exploring, and it can certainly be limiting if it's so hot that being inside in the middle of the day is near essential.
@Ian Sutton - my wife and my Honeymoon was spent in July 2022 in Venice and was crazy hot, but it was our only choice as she was teaching. So happy to be retired and able to Travel when the weather is more to our liking!

Lovely report and great photos, Beerman - thank you for sharing! I popped up to Florence last week with a friend on a day trip and it was already terribly hot, humid and crowded. But still beautiful.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina