• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

2023, Spring Northern Italy part 3

BEERMAN

100+ Posts
April 11-25, 2023

I have to be honest, years ago when we first visited Florence I was not overly impressed. Back on our first trip we arrived at night, stayed near the train station, the walk at night felt...seedy? Not researching much we made a poor decision to try dining right next to the Duomo receiving terrible service and subpar food, all in all not a great first impression. We have learned now to go a couple blocks from main attractions for dinner!! After a couple more visits this place has really grown on me, we absolutely love it! We walked a lot the past 2 days, from hitting the iconic sites to the more suburban and obscure settings on the outskirts of town, we enjoyed it all and will return.

UT3A9682 (2).JPG

The location of our B&B Assaporarte offered us convenient access to the city. A few steps out our door to Piazza Santa Maria Novella we found a taxi stand to catch a short ride to our rental car. Our walking app said it was a 40 minute walk, but not interested in that! I was very relaxed the last 2 days and now I was anxiously observing traffic patterns and the many different road signs. The rental company had a Jeep Renegade ready, but offered us a reasonable upgrade to a brand new Lynk&Co SUV, had never seen one of these Swedish/Chinese cars before, it was very nice and comfortable! It had 44 kilometers on it! After a quick check out by EuropCar we were on our way south! (Pic from end of trip, it was filthy!)

unnamed (17).jpg

It was pretty easy getting out of the city, thankful for in-car technology and our phones. The drive was pleasant and after about 2 hours we made a pit stop in Montepulciano. We didn't panic park down below, instead drove higher up and found a free parking space. A couple flights of stairs and we were in this wonderful hill town. This break was needed because we had 3 hours until we checked into Pienza. We stopped in Villa Puccini Cantina and enjoyed some cheese, meats and wine. It's a pretty cool cellar! For some reason I always feel obligated to purchase something when they share their time, but the wine we bought was just ok. What was really enjoyable was strolling the streets without a ton of people. We commented on how peaceful it felt here compared to the big city. We walked as much as we could then stopped for take away focaccia , our comfort food!

336544542_2162330987296771_3287273009453181510_n.jpg

341144418_3005331526429821_5119016123044579723_n.jpg

unnamed (6).jpg

unnamed (8).jpg

unnamed.jpg

unnamed (12).jpg

It was a short scenic 20 minute drive to Pienza, remembering parts of the drive from years ago. The countryside was a gorgeous green and the absence of grapes did not detract from its beauty.

unnamed (1).jpg

unnamed (2).jpg

We did some research on parking around Pienza and found the parking lot across the street from the COOP was convenient. At the backside of the paved pay parking is unpaved and free. A local told us we could keep the car there as long as we wanted! The 5 minute walk to the towns arched entrance was easy. We had considered an Agriturismo stay, but chose to stay inside the city walls to really experience this awesome hill town...and drink a bit of wine! Our airbnb, Renaissance Apartment, was in the center right next to the Piccolomini (aka Pope Pius II) Cafe/Restaurant. The nice greeter was the daughter of the owners, she actually grew up in this house, what a childhood!! It is a large 3 level home, had everything we needed and more, even access to a small rooftop deck!

unnamed (11).jpg

unnamed (7).jpg

unnamed (14).jpg

341148258_996589921327246_5482110026636809051_n.jpg

unnamed (13).jpg

unnamed (9).jpg

Pienza is an UNESCO site. Pope Pius II was born here and in 1459 he decided to make the town his summer getaway and put a face lift on the town and opted to incorporate the Renaissance style..with a little Gothic tossed in. IT's BEAUTIFUL!

UT3A0194 (2).JPG

We were limited to a couple hours here a few years ago and we were eager to really dig in and walk it this time, it's perfectly tiny. There were a few people shopping the stores on the main street and hanging out at the various cafes, but not as many as I had expected. We walked down every cobbled stoned alley and just outside the town. My favorite part of town is near the cheese shops, the smell of Pecorino was definitely in the air!

There's a picturesque outer walkway along the city wall facing Val d' Orcia where we parked ourselves at a cafe for drinks. There may be no greater views in Tuscany.... fresh air, wide open spaces.

unnamed (15).jpg

unnamed (16).jpg

unnamed (19).jpg

Our greeter recommended a couple restaurants inside and outside of the walls. The first one we stopped in did not have a reservation time available, but our neighbor The Piccolomini's did, they have a restaurant in the courtyard that we could see from our kitchen window. They also have a cafe entrance from the main street. The food and service was wonderful, I had ragu and my wife had artichoke with pecorino lasagna, very good lasagna!

unnamed (10).jpg

unnamed (5).jpg

336530838_735290068300667_3883336225146783182_n.jpg

After our delicious dinner we slowly walked the cobble stones under the warm yellow hue of Tuscan lights. We have always enjoyed our walks at night in various hill towns and have never felt uncomfortable and certainly never unsafe, this holds true in Pienza

unnamed (20).jpg

unnamed (18).jpg

To be continued..........

An SUV a very good option for Tuscany I reckon, and nice to get one that's effectively just been checked over, but otherwise new.

Agreed that Montepulciano is a relaxing place to stroll through, and always within a short walk of some lovely views.

Ian, we wanted to get a smaller vehicle yet not a mini/compact, I'm 6'1" tall and my right knee is only good for 2 hours if not allowed to stretch out. ....this LYNKco I think was a hair larger than the Jeep? but the seats in the Lynk were much more comfortable. At first glance I was concerned about parking. We had to disregard a couple tight parking spaces but it did fit in a small garage space we had on Lake Orta. A cool feature was the overhead camera view that let me see if we were between the parking lines, first experience with that crazy technology!

unnamed (4).jpg

Not tempted by the red Piaggio Ape? ;)

That camera system sounds like the one we have at home, with cameras under the wing mirrors, and also at the back. Slightly disorientating at first, but useful, and something the passenger can also help by watching.

Not tempted by the red Piaggio Ape? ;)

That camera system sounds like the one we have at home, with cameras under the wing mirrors, and also at the back. Slightly disorientating at first, but useful, and something the passenger can also help by watching.
I'd like to have that truck for our property!

This camera actually does a birdseye view, as if a camera is 20 feet above your car showing the entire car and several feet all around you.. I haven't googled to see how this technically works, but it's cool

Pienza is great. Just south of the town center, there's a shooting location for Gladiator, a short road bounded by cypresses leading to a farm.

Flew my drone there, got some nice shots of those rolls of hay. This was in July so it wasn't very green, the fields were yellow but it all looked great with Pienza as a backdrop, either looking from the south or the east.

It was incredibly hot during a 4-day stay but on the last night there were torrential rains. It let up and I drove to Florence to return the car and board the train for Venice.

That year, the apt I was staying in was affected by alta aqua, so a puddle to the entrance of the apartment on a couple of days. Had to take my shoes off and go in barefoot. Apparently the whole country got drenched that day.

Pienza is great. Just south of the town center, there's a shooting location for Gladiator, a short road bounded by cypresses leading to a farm.

Flew my drone there, got some nice shots of those rolls of hay. This was in July so it wasn't very green, the fields were yellow but it all looked great with Pienza as a backdrop, either looking from the south or the east.

It was incredibly hot during a 4-day stay but on the last night there were torrential rains. It let up and I drove to Florence to return the car and board the train for Venice.

That year, the apt I was staying in was affected by alta aqua, so a puddle to the entrance of the apartment on a couple of days. Had to take my shoes off and go in barefoot. Apparently the whole country got drenched that day.
I think the last pic is that location? Barefoot in the rain in Pienza, sounds

An SUV a very good option for Tuscany I reckon, and nice to get one that's effectively just been checked over, but otherwise new.

Agreed that Montepulciano is a relaxing place to stroll through, and always within a short walk of some lovely views.

What they call SUVs in Europe are often hatchbacks and they're about the same size as sedans or the traditional 5-door hatch backs.

You almost have to duck as you enter and exit the car or stick your head out the window when backing up for instance.

If it's like a US SUV, you might struggle to find roomy enough parking spaces, even in rural Tuscany.

Often you go to places like Assisi and the closest you can part of the centro storico is this garage right at the base of the walls and some of the spaces there may not be 2 meters high. Not to mention you often have very little space to the sides because of supporting columns.

I would prefer cars which have enough boot space for both my large suitcase and my carryon roller and in the compact category, they barely fit. I drove the Renalt Kaptur recently and it would not fit both, had to put the carryon in the back seat.

The economy category of cars may not even fit the larger suitcase in the back.

But they're certainly easier to park in these tiny spaces.

I think the last pic is that location? Barefoot in the rain in Pienza, sounds

Here are some pics I took in Pienza, including the Gladiator road lined with cypresses.

Attachments

• 2A8EC59C-3A11-4B18-92FC-A02DAC9DFB93.jpeg
    2A8EC59C-3A11-4B18-92FC-A02DAC9DFB93.jpeg
    75.3 KB · Views: 70
  • CFBCEE50-2818-4765-A671-6DE3B7F94F1C.jpeg
    CFBCEE50-2818-4765-A671-6DE3B7F94F1C.jpeg
    38.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 1CCDB38C-22D2-4FD4-9BB0-A01C94B132C5.jpeg
    1CCDB38C-22D2-4FD4-9BB0-A01C94B132C5.jpeg
    86.7 KB · Views: 27

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina