• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

2nd Booster?

artnbarb

1000+ Posts
We both got vaxxed back in Jan/Feb 2021, then we both got our booster shot in Nov 21. I know we'll want to get a 2nd booster before we leave on August 1st for 3 months of traveling. I'm not even thinking about what tests might (or might not!) be required, because things could change.

I can, however, plan the timing of our 2nd booster, and I'm thinking it will be more effective if we wait til closer to departure. Previously we've had Pfizer, so we'll get Moderna this time. I've read that this 2nd booster really only gives a boost for about 4-6 weeks, which is why I'm thinking of waiting. Thoughts? Or is it just a total crapshhot?! At this point I don't feel safe, or protected, and feel like this will always be lurking in the shadows!

We got our 2nd boosters yesterday. We have a short trip to Boston planned in two weeks, and I'm hoping this will keeps as safe as we can be. Of course, I'll probably be wearing a mask forever - just bought some lovely peach KN95s for the spring and summer.

I'd make the same choice to wait until a couple weeks before departure. I will be leaving for Italy this weekend and my 2nd booster was 2 weeks before departure. There may be more data by July about effectiveness / longevity of the booster shots or there may be variant specific ones by then. Hopefully in August you can at least eat outside if there's still a higher risk of infection.

We both got vaxxed back in Jan/Feb 2021, then we both got our booster shot in Nov 21. I know we'll want to get a 2nd booster before we leave on August 1st for 3 months of traveling. I'm not even thinking about what tests might (or might not!) be required, because things could change.

I can, however, plan the timing of our 2nd booster, and I'm thinking it will be more effective if we wait til closer to departure. Previously we've had Pfizer, so we'll get Moderna this time. I've read that this 2nd booster really only gives a boost for about 4-6 weeks, which is why I'm thinking of waiting. Thoughts? Or is it just a total crapshhot?! At this point I don't feel safe, or protected, and feel like this will always be lurking in the shadows!
I think waiting is wise for the 2nd booster, given it's 4-6 week window before it starts to wane. We got the 2nd booster as soon as we were eligible. Given what we know now, I wish that we had waited and been more strategic about the timing of the 2nd booster relative to our June 2022 departure for Portugal.

Last edited:
We are leaving for Italy in a few weeks. Delta was very strict as to when we received our boosters. Can't remember the exact days, but we got our second booster many months ago, and Delta required us to get a new one, if ours was older than 270 days, which it was. Also, had to be 14 days before you leave.

We are leaving for Italy in a few weeks. Delta was very strict as to when we received our boosters. Can't remember the exact days, but we got our second booster many months ago, and Delta required us to get a new one, if ours was older than 270 days, which it was. Also, had to be 14 days before you leave.
Thanks for that reminder about getting the booster 14 days in advance. I'm going to mark my calendar!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina