• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

3 Months in Europe with base in Northern Italy

Elle

My partner and I would like to rent a 2 bed/ 2 bath ‘base house’ in northern Italy that has easy access to trains. In addition to visiting the mountains in Italy, we would like to visit Slovenia and Provence. Would like recommendations for best city or village base in N. Italy (preferably not a big city, but outside of one ok). Also would like recommendations for best agencies to contact to find a home rental. We will be renting a car. Thanks.

Hi
Please consider Renault eu lease for your 3 mo stay. We have used it 3 different times and it is far cheaper. It also includes complete insurance coverage and no deductible

Slovenia and Provence offer somewhat competing draws.

Thoughts
- Lombardia has some fine mountainous areas, so somewhere in range of them, but also in range of Milano for train connections. Perhaps the best compromise?
- Piemonte for access to Valle d'Aosta and the mountains to the west. Train connections down to Provence should be the best, whilst the fast trains across to Venezia puts you in moderately decent range of Slovenia
- Trento. Good connections for Slovenia, but less so for Provence. The location of the city puts you virtually in the mountains... they even had a cable car starting from behind the train station.

If choosing Piemonte, Novara might be worth a look if you want a not-too-big city and it certainly has charm. Ivrea/Biella also worth a look, as would be villages outside of Torino, but in range (e.g. Giaveno or something closer)

Hi
Please consider Renault eu lease for your 3 mo stay. We have used it 3 different times and it is far cheaper. It also includes complete insurance coverage and no deductible
Hi
Thank you for your recommendation, I appreciate it!

Slovenia and Provence offer somewhat competing draws.

Thoughts
- Lombardia has some fine mountainous areas, so somewhere in range of them, but also in range of Milano for train connections. Perhaps the best compromise?
- Piemonte for access to Valle d'Aosta and the mountains to the west. Train connections down to Provence should be the best, whilst the fast trains across to Venezia puts you in moderately decent range of Slovenia
- Trento. Good connections for Slovenia, but less so for Provence. The location of the city puts you virtually in the mountains... they even had a cable car starting from behind the train station.

If choosing Piemonte, Novara might be worth a look if you want a not-too-big city and it certainly has charm. Ivrea/Biella also worth a look, as would be villages outside of Torino, but in range (e.g. Giaveno or something closer)
Thank you for taking the time to send me a lengthy response! I truly appreciate your suggestions and will look seriously at what you have outlined. I'll let you know when I narrow things down and find a rental that works for me!

I think you can arrange the very beneficial short term lease of French autos only in Milan and Rome.

Or in France, without the delivery fees that are typically added for Italy but you might find waived during a sale. If you're combining Provence and Italy, you could pick up the car in Nice or Marseille.

I have an apartment 2 bed 2 bathroom in north east Italy in Friuli in the centre of an historical medieval town only 30 minutes from Udine 90 minutes from Slovenia by car. If you are interested can send you further details.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina