• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

3 Nights In Florence

artnbarb

1000+ Posts
What would be the best time to spend 3 full days in Florence? The choices are:
  • Late May
  • June
  • July
  • September
  • October
Or is Florence just a zoo 90% of the year? We spent a week in Florence in January one year, but this year our options are limited.

I have been in both late May, June and October. Either late May or mid October would be my preference, simply for the cooler weather since it will still be fairly crowded both times. Although this year, I will there in early October, so hoping the weather is mild. I can take crowds and I can accept a warm day, but not at the same time!

Definitely October. In addition to the reduced tourist crowds, the fall scenery in Tuscany is outstanding. I will note that there can be a big temperature drop between early October and late in the month. We were there one year where we were strolling on the beach the first week and then marveling at how the Apennines looked like the Alps with all the snow cover on them by the end of the month. Depending on the time of your visit, you might be able to enjoy one of the chestnut festivals in the region. If you stay to the end of the month, the Italians celebrate the heck out of Halloween and you would also be hitting the start of the olive harvest and attendant festivals. Finally, if your plans allow (and if you enjoy chaos) the Lucca Comics Festival begins November 1st.

Serchio Valley in October:
upload_2017-3-17_7-21-48.png

October, the later the better for fewer crowds. We spent a month in Florence several years ago. Our time began in the second week of October and we stayed into the first part of November. It was a great time to be there.

I've been there in March, June, July and October. Loved it every time. It was hot/humid in both June and July...but there's always gelato to cool you down! :) I didn't notice a huge difference in crowds of June, July and Oct...at least during the day in the historic centre. Long lines at the big sites all three months. (I've always splurged on a Friends of Uffizi membership to bypass said lines though...priceless!)
If I had to choose...I would say October was probably my favourite time of year so far. I do hope to go in winter one of these years!

thanks for the link, but no, what I was referring to is an annual fashion show I thought was held every fall in Florence. I should Google it, but I thought someone here might have a more personal take on it!

Last edited:
May or October. The other months are hotter. However, I was there one October when I wore only short sleeve shirts and was glad I had A/C. May has the advantage of longer daylight hours.

I would say that Florence is a zoo most of the year between April and October....if I had to choose the best time between late May and October, I would say mid-October--hopefully before the weather becomes more changeable. But May is great because the days are so long.....

We were there in July and then in May. Loved it both times. It was actually so incredible to go back to Florence after 12 years! My dream is to eventually spend the Christmas holidays there. sigh.....

Note to Anne and other Florence museum lovers: the Friends of the Uffizi pass ain't what it used to be. I assume this has been discussed in a separate post since it's use was severely limited more than a year ago. But the Firenze pass is still a big help.

Note to Anne and other Florence museum lovers: the Friends of the Uffizi pass ain't what it used to be. I assume this has been discussed in a separate post since it's use was severely limited more than a year ago. But the Firenze pass is still a big help.
Thanks Allen, I had not heard of this change. I last bought the pass in early 2015 and it still covered a lot. Looks like it only covers Uffizi and the Pitti museums now. That's disappointing to say the least!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina