• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

3 nights in Lake Como area prior to trip to Alps

nettiK

Flying into Milan with my mom (82 but very active!). We are going on a group trip through the Alps for two weeks and arriving early to shake off the jet lag. Aiming to spend three nights in Lake Como area. But where?? We will hire a car/driver to get us from Milan to our destination, the take the train out of there (via Milan) to Stressa to meet up with our group.

Any advice on the Lake Como area would be appreciated. I understand NOT to stay in Como, but look at Varenna or Bellagio. Don't really need a kitchen. So, not really a long visit, but thought I might get some good advice here on location and possibly restaurants or other tips.

Many thanks.

We've stayed a number of times just up the road from Stress in Baveno in hotel Rigoli. It's right on the lake and some rooms overlook it. Nice small town. The hotel rates have gone up since we've been but it's very nice and quiet. Maybe you want to be a little further from your starting point but it's one option.

We always stay in Varenna at Albergo Milano, https://www.varenna.net/ If you want the best room, ask for either #1 or #2. Each has a large terrace, and the view is incredible. For a lesser price, at least ask for one of the rooms with the small balconies. Breakfast is included in the price. If you have mobility issues, please know that you cannot drive up to the front door. We love the place across the small ally (Quatro Pass) for dinner, but the owner, (husband) of the Albergo is a chef and cooks wonderful meals on the large terrace overlooking the lake in the evenings. Very special. You will need reservations for each.

thank you so much, Sharon. just inquired as you said!! thanks. ncp, i will check it out, I am sure it is lovely, but have always wanted to see the lake como area. thanks tho, I will check it out too!

thank you so much, Sharon. just inquired as you said!! thanks. ncp, i will check it out, I am sure it is lovely, but have always wanted to see the lake como area. thanks tho, I will check it out too!
Just wanted to let you know Varenna is on Lake Como. Lovely village, and Ferry's take you all over the lake.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes, I see it. Had been recommended by dear Rick Steves too...I hope this place has a room!! Oh, and I love Beaufort. Such a lovely place!!!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina