• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

606 Club, Chelsea. London

CindyP

10+ Posts
Hello all. We've moved on to trying to narrow down things to do during our 5 nights in London.

We have rented an apartment at 88 Drayton Gardens in Kensington. We are looking for things to do in the evening that would be close by.

Hubby has discovered a jazz club..Club 606 on Lot St in Chelsea. Google makes it about a 20 minute walk from our apartment. Not a bad walk to get there, but wondering about walking home on unfamiliar streets. Is anyone familiar with this area. ? Would it be easy to hail a taxi in that area?

Cindy P

Can't see why it would be remotely unsafe to walk it, if that's the concern. These days, it's one of the poshest areas around. You could walk up to Kings Road and get a bus to the bottom of Beaufort St and walk from there (in any case you'd be more likely to find a taxi on Kings Road).

http://content.tfl.gov.uk/bus-route-maps/chelsea-beaufort-st-181116.pdf

I just stayed three nights in your hood, I was at the Draycott Hotel at 25 Cadogan Gardens --- a mile or so on the other side of Chelsea near Sloane Square.

I didn't go to the area around 606 Club, but you may want to do a Google Street View of your walking route to see which way is the best for walking.

You're close to Queens Gate, Kings Road, Sloane Street -- all upscale. I walked everywhere solo. I never felt unsafe in that area, though I was cautious when I passed through the area around Victoria Station while working my way back from my walk along the Thames from Westminster Abbey in the late evening.

As far as hailing taxis, it's difficult to find one if you're in a quiet residential area like my street, unless you call for one. I walked up to the shopping area, where it was very easy to hail a taxi.

Patrick. Not as concerned about safety as about weariness. Our hope is to spend the morning touring Kew Gardens then come back to our apartment before the show. The show is over around 10 and by that time we may not really want to walk any more for the day. Though you never can tell. It may depend upon the weather. An evening walk is lovely. Thanks for the tip on trying Kings Road for a taxi if we need one.

Cameron. Thanks for the neighborhood info. You have confirmed what I thought about the area. Doing a Google street walk is a brilliant idea. I'm going to need to look up the London taxi number and put it in my phone for sure. I'm really hoping that the weather and our energy level allows us to walk back after. We will be walking there before the show at 7 or should I say 19. So we will be slightly familiar with the way back

Thanks again

Cindy

Cindy,

I walked to the Chelsea Physic Garden and really enjoyed it. There is an entry fee, but then you get a free tour (which I recommend).

I also walked up to Kensington Gardens. I don't know what will be in bloom when you're there, but there is a white garden (free to view from all sides, but can't walk through) in memory of Diana. The day I went, I had breakfast at the Kensington Palace Orangery (up the hill to the left of the garden side of the palace). It's a separate building, so no need to pay admission to the palace. Very nice breakfast with good service.

For lunch one day, I splurged and went to the Kensington Roof Gardens and Babylon Restaurant. The gardens were closed for an event, but after my meal, the manager arranged a tour for me. The lunch was fabulous, but pricey. Very friendly service.

I've also been to Kew Gardens (July) and Hampton Court (November). Both are great.

If you like Lebanese food, I recommend Al Arez 2 at 128 Brompton Road. Be warned -- the portions are huge! I dined upstairs. It's a small place. Good service. It looks like a hole-in-the-wall, but don't be put off.

Another good restaurant, new and modern, but delicious food and creative cocktails is Granger & Company on Pavilion Road in Chelsea.

To stock up on gourmet and good stuff, I highly recommend the Duke of York Square Market in Chelsea. There's a fabulous store there, then on Saturdays, there's also a market out front. Before taking the train to Chipping Campden, I put together my picnic for the train.

If you want a local department store, instead of facing the hoards (seriously elbow-to-elbow) of Harrod's, then the Peter Jones store on Sloane Square is quiet and lovely with attentive staff without an attitude. I was shopping for throw pillows, but they wouldn't take the inserts out, but offered to ship.

Enjoy your trip.

Last edited:
I'm going to need to look up the London taxi number and put it in my phone for sure. I'm really hoping that the weather and our energy level allows us to walk back after.

You can pre-book either a regular taxi or a minicab to pick you up, or just look for a regular taxi on the street (but you'd be more likely to find one on Kings Road than cruising around the back streets - though if the 606 is well enough known there may be some around there) - more about how it all works at https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/taxis-and-minicabs/

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina