• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

A Day in Oxford

Lisa in Ottawa

500+ Posts
Planning to host Pauline and Steve in Oxford for the day. Where shall we go? I know you've been to the Ashmolean so we'll nix that one. Have you been to the Radcliffe Square with the Bodlean Library? Most of the beutiful old colleges and the tiny winding lanes of Oxford are clustered arund here. If you haven't then I think that is a must. If it's a nice day, we can climb to the tower of Church of St Mary the Virgin and get a 360% view of Oxford. Quite lovely. Lunch at Vaults and Garden Cafe in the square. They do vegetarian. http://www.thevaultsandgarden.com/ We could walk there from our apartment through University Parks.
Or if you prefer more rural there is Port Meadows and along Thames towpath. I think you said you walked a little ways along the Thames but it is different out of the centre.

Then there is Christ Church and meadows.
Let me know your preferences.

A quick post to say I am still thinking about this. Jonathan gave me some notes about things to do in Oxford and I will look this weekend, plus look at my guidebooks. I am looking forward to our day out!

This is typical of my travel planning. We go to Oxford the day after tomorrow and I still have not looked into the things I might want to see. It looks like the weather will be good, so a walk along the Thames is a good idea.

Now that I think of it, we did see the Bodlean Library on our last visit. We visited one of the colleges and the Ashmolean Museum. I think we walked by Christ Church but did not go in.

We went to a very old pub with low ceilings, near a very good book shop.

That is it @jonathan ! Wendy and Richard took us there.

The college we visited was Balliol.
We did visit the Bodleian Library.
And had a short visit to the Ashmolean (including lunch at their restaurant).
I think we walked along the River Cherwell, not the Thames. And we have not walked along the Oxford Canal.
We walked in the Christ Church Meadow.

Possible things to do:

Walk along the River Thames (because it turns out we have not done this).

Climb to the tower of Church of St Mary the Virgin and get a 360% view of Oxford.

Christ Church - founded by Cardinal Wolsey in 1524 during Henry VIII's time! But the website says the Hall is closed for renovation. The Christ Church Cathedral is even older - 1160-1200.
Wednesday 5th November 2014
Hall - Closed for restoration
Cathedral - 10am - 4.15pm, Last entry 4.15pm
£5.50 entry for the Cathedral only.

Tomorrow is Bonfire night!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina