• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

A few nights in... Aix?

Karen Frerichs

10+ Posts
Since I will be in Avignon for a week with a group of friends, at the beginning of June, I have been looking at various possibilities to extend that trip on my own.
I had been thinking to just go back to Paris for a week, but Pauline's Nice thread has me thinking that I could easily take the train further on and stay somewhere like Aix for a few days. Or Nice....

I would no longer have a car at that point, so somewhere with easy public transport, and easily walkable while I'm there would be good.

I have never stayed in Aix, only been through on the way to the coast, or up to the Luberon, so what suggestions does anyone have for just a few days? Probably not enough time for an apt rental, so... hotels near the center? Granet Museum, and what else? Probably not hard to find good restaurants, but your ideas
and suggestions would be very welcome!

Thanks,
Karen

The only thing I would add is Cezanne's studio. It's not grand in any way, but I loved seeing the space he worked in. I've never stayed in Aix, although I've visited for the day several times. If I had a week without a car, I would definitely choose Nice over Aix.

Thanks Chris... I had thought of Nice, also, because of Pauline's trip... too many choices, too little time.

Now making myself crazy, checking hotels, etc....

Aix is a good choice if you don't want to travel that far from Avignon, but going to Nice would give you a stay in a very different area, which might be nice. Nice (340,000+) is larger than Aix (141,000+).

Thanks, Chris, Collen and Pauline...

Due to finding out that other friends will be in Paris in June, I've made plans to put off extra travel in Provence and am going back to see them in Paris after the week near Avignon.
So, next trip... Aix, Nice, and more.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina