• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Agriturismo or similar close to a village?

Chiocciola

Hi everyone! I used to post at SlowTrav (a long time ago now!) and I was very excited to see a lot of familiar names here! I was able to register with my old username too, so that was cool. :)

My sister, my little niece and I would like to go to Italy this summer, and I would love to stay in an agriturismo or something similar, but preferably close to a town or village... (Looking at Tuscany and Umbria but open to other regions too.) I know that agriturismi are by nature usually far from towns, but I see that there are a few that fit the bill (emailing with one close to San Gimignano now), and would love to get other suggestions!

We are also open to a family-friendly, chill hotel/pensione/B&B in a village. I prefer a place that offers breakfast of half board, but open to self-catering places as well. I have a romantic idea of a place where my niece can run around and we can sit and drink prosecco...

Thanks in advance!!

Hi Chiocciola
Other aspects may count against it (not exactly a tourist hotspot), but we've very much enjoyed staying at Il Cavenago in Ghemme. It's about 5-10 mins walk into the small town, that is a criss-cross of streets but bizarrely usually bereft of actual traffic.

The agriturismo grow plenty of their own food, and the weekend (and sometimes midweek) banquets are fantastic (their risotto is the best I've had). They have mountain bikes to use for free (though the gears have long since given up working). The courtyard is a joy and can be a great place to relax (or a very safe place to play). Some farmyard animals may appeal to your niece, and there is usually a donkey or two there.

Not a huge amount to see in Ghemme itself, though the lady who runs the gelateria is charming in the manner of someone who values her role in the local community. There is a modestly sized old town, but not somewhere that I should overplay in wider interest.

Very handy if flying into Milano Malpensa

________

Massimago in Mezzane di Sotto (Valpolicella wine country & with Verona an option to drive to or taxi or bus). More luxurious, albeit more modern than Il Cavenago. Self catering but with huge breakfasts - the best I can think that we've had in Italy. Lovely pool, gardens, patio, fruit trees to help yourselves to, and loads of options to walk through their vineyards. Also with a somewhat ramshackle games room. Plus you're much closer to prosecco wine country. Verona offers the chance for a little wow! history moment with the arena. Soave also a rather charming day trip option. The village is c. 20 min walk away, but on very quite country lanes where the traffic is rare and slow / audible before it gets there.

Plenty more though, and I'd be confident a browse of agriturimso.it would get you something ideal.

Last edited:
Hi Chiocciola - On the subject of an agriturismo, I posted a list of various sites and tips that might be useful to you on a previous thread :

Since there is no lack of good agriturismi anywhere in Italy, you might want first to choose the general area/region that works best for your interests, and then search for an agriturismo in that area.
We stay solely on agriturismi when we're outside of cities, and have almost never been disappointed.

Ian, Joe, this is great, thank you both so much!

Ian, both those look great, having fun looking at their websites now. :) And yes, I am using agriturismo.it but get a little overwhelmed! Also, sometimes when I click "village" I get properties far away from a village, so maybe some owners have clicked the wrong box...

Joe, loved your post with sites and tips, grazie!! Very helpful.

Have to say I am thoroughly enjoying the planning part of this trip; we decided just a few days ago that we were going to go, so now I am searching places to stay, tickets, everything, and having a good time!

Many years ago, we stayed at an agritourismo near Florence. We made sure we found one near a station for local trains, so we could park at the station and train into Florence in ten minutes. Then, we had our car to day trip in the surrounding countryside. We also used the little train station to zip to Arezzo. I'm trying to remember the name of the place!

Anyway, my point is, having a train station nearby can be a real convenience.

Hi Chiocciola, I suggest to visit Sermoneta a little medieval village 60 km far from Rome and 25 mins from Sabaudia Beach. The village has a beautiful Castle and it's very close to Ninfa Garden (the most romantic garden in the world according NYT). A very good Bb is Aurora medieval house. If you want to enjoy the beach, you can reach Sabaudia or San Felice Circeo. Local food is wonderful, especially mozzarella. If you want to visit this area you can rent a car or travel by train from Rome to Latina Scalo train station, 35 mins by train.

not an agriturismo...but the most incredible rental villa ever. We stayed in the big side (8 bedrooms & baths) in 2016. I've linked to the smaller villa attached that might be more the right size for you. The little village of San Gemini is out the front door, countryside out the back door (private parking by back entrance, so you can avoid driving into the town completely.) The cook did breakfast for us about half the week (you can order it for the whole week) + two magnificent in-villa dinners. And for our group of 6, we thought the price was reasonable even for the big side. We met the owners and had several lovely conversations with the around the pool. Have a look - I'd go back tomorrow. Highly recommended. San Gemini villa

Let's not forget about Pamel Sheldon Johns' (who was a frequent poster to ST) Poggio Etrusco:
It is a short drive to MOntepulciano. They make olive oil, do cooking classes and have a lovely pool.

I would narrow down to a couple of areas/villages you're interested in and then search for agriturismi in those places that fit your desires. Less of a "needle in a haystack". I find agriturismo.it pretty user-friendly with the map feature; farmstayplanet.com may be helpful, too.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina