• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Alitalia successor airline

Andrew

500+ Posts
Contest 2019 Winner!
Reuters story:

A new corporation is to take the place of the current Alitalia parent company, with the name ITA. It hasn't been clear if it would keep the Alitalia brand name. Note from the story:
The statement said Alitalia would stop operating on Oct. 15 and that all passengers holding Alitalia tickets to travel after that date would be offered alternatives.

braindoc

10+ Posts
What a mess! We are supposed to fly Alitalia to Italy on October 7 and return October 22, with business class award tickets. Worse, we have a second award trip booked for March 2022.

I’ve been on hold with Alitalia for an hour. No idea what will happen now. Lots online about jobs, number of planes, route changes, etc., but I haven’t seen any clear details about what will happen to people who are supposed to fly on or after October 15.

UGH!!

joe

500+ Posts
This is what I wrote here four years ago, and unfortunately not much has changed :

"Alitalia is the airline equivalent of Schrodinger's cat : both alive and dead at the same time. ;)
After they left us stranded all night during a wildcat strike, they are certainly a dead entity for me."

We vowed after that strike to never fly Alitalia again - I hope they have improved their service, but something tells me that there will always be doubts about their reliability.

braindoc

10+ Posts
We’ve had good results with Alitalia over the years. 80,000 miles round-trip for business class is tough to beat. I finally got through to them this morning only to learn they do not know anything right now. Supposedly, some official information will be available very soon.

Andrew

500+ Posts
Contest 2019 Winner!
Some stories say that the new airline ITA will from the beginning fly Rome and Milan to New York, and Rome to Boston and Miami; if you're on one of those routes, that's hopeful, but one can always worry about protecting Business awards. This story in Italian puts some doubt into it: I have pretty good Italian, but this gets into technicalities of business law making it difficult: I gather they say there are some challenges to ITA taking over Alitalia's assets and liabilities, including issued tickets.

joe

500+ Posts
We’ve had good results with Alitalia over the years. 80,000 miles round-trip for business class is tough to beat.
Well, that's good to hear. Perhaps our experience was just a tough break...but I believe that also others have had less than optimal service from them.

braindoc

10+ Posts
I also saw an Italian news report saying that ITA balked at buying MilleMiglia because of the 220 million euro price tag Alitalia was asking for.

I guess I’ll be spending a lot of time calling Alitalia this week. Rebooking on a Skyteam partner with the MM miles may be the answer, but the rates are awful: 50,000 miles one-way for economy, 100,000 for business. We shall see.

Andrew

500+ Posts
Contest 2019 Winner!
I don't know if you've seen this Corriere article over several short pages. Page 5 suggests that if you have a ticket number starting with 055 issued by Alitalia you're entitled to a cash refund, even if it's a reward ticket. Page 7 says that if the miles are in your account they can't be converted to money. It all appears that the oucome in your case isn't known yet.

braindoc

10+ Posts
Thanks Andrew. Very interesting, and more detailed than any else I’ve seen. I’m assumed the miles would be credited back to my MM account, and I’d just have to try to see if I can book with a SkyTeam partner. The possibility of having the miles credited into a different frequent flyer account is interesting.

“i punti MilleMiglia potrebbero essere per esempio caricati — se previsto dai patti — sui programmi fedeltà di Air France o Klm o Delta Air Lines. A quel punto poi successivamente potrebbe riscattare il viaggio premio con i programmi di quelle compagnie.”

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Travel Guides

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
How to Be an American in Italy by Jessica Scott Romano