• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Alitalia successor airline

@GailS - We plan to return to Ai Promessi Sposi, Trattoria da Bepi Antico già 54 da Loris, and some of our favorite bacari like El Sbarlefo, Cantina Do Mori, and Osteria Al Squero. The latter is across the S. Trovaso canal from, I believe, the last remaining gondola builder in Venice and a little past the very well-known Cantine del vino già schiavi on Fondamenta Navi.

Do not confuse da Bepi già 54 with the very poorly reviewed Osteria da Bepi located near the train station at the other end of Cannaregio. The good da Bepi is about 100 feet from El Sbarlefo on Salizada del Pastor. We were sent there by the owner of Ottica Urbani, where I’ve purchased my last few eyeglass frames.

We are also planning to eat at Antiche Carampane and Boccadoro, both for the first time. We have eaten very well at Gatto Nero on Burano, but I think we’ve decided not to make the trek there this time.

We have eaten quite well at alle Testiere but were disappointed our last visit. Many years ago we had a great meal at Anice Stellato, but the return visit the following trip was a very poor experience.

The way I read this, the rebooked flights have to be competed by 14 October 2021, the “last date of return,” not particularly helpful in our situation. I keep blinking and re-reading in the futile hope it will change to the more useful rebook by October 14, but no luck. Here is the actual section from the website:

PASSENGERS WITH MILLEMIGLIA AWARD TICKETS

Passengers in possession of MilleMiglia award tickets with a travel date from 15 October 2021 to/from any destination/origin around the world, booked on a canceled flight, can:
  • contact the Call Center to rebook, without penalty, on Alitalia flights or flights operated by SkyTeam Partners and other Frequent Flyer Partners by 14 October 2021 (last date of return);
  • request a change of destination, with mileage integration if necessary, on either operational AZ flights or operational flights of SkyTeam Partners and other Frequent Flyer Partners to fly within 14 October 2021 (last date of return).
Passengers who want to give up the trip can request the re-credit of the miles, the refund of taxes and surcharges, by clicking on the link present in the cancelation notification message.

——————
I have not received an official cancellation of our March 2022 trip yet.

I’ll be reaching out to my journalist contact in Italy to see if this is it for award seat holders, or if the government might provide other options.

The question would be: if you get a cancelation notification and it lets you get the miles back into your MilleMiglia account before the deadline, can you use them to book a partner flight happening after Oct. 15? Or does it still run into the problem of the tickets being issued by a defunct airline? There's some speculation that MilleMiglia will become a non-travel rewards program, but how useful will that be for people from different countries?

Indeed, Andrew. Perhaps, if Eataly purchased MilleMiglia we’d have some fun using our miles, lol.

The cancellation of our March 2022 trip arrived overnight. The language was clearer:

As a result, we regret to inform you that AZ 00615 on Mar 17 from BOSTON BOS to ROMA FCO has been cancelled.
  • To reschedule your trip to fly within 14 October 2021, you can contact our Call Center by calling the toll-free number 800.65.00.55 from Italy, +39 06.65.649 from abroad or the local numbers available on our website www.alitalia.com.

• Otherwise you can request a full refund by clicking here.

Once we request the return of our miles (and refund of our fees) you are correct: the question remains whether the SkyTeam partners will accept a MM award booking for after October 15. Some frequent flyer program are semi-autonomous, so the miles could survive the demise of the airline. A more practical issue is that booking with a partner airline must be done by phone with an Alitalia agent - never a pleasure.

I’d normally plan to delve into this on a Friday when I’m not in the office but this week I’m migrating my electronic medical records software from a local peer-to-peer setup to a cloud-based server so I’ll be finishing that on Friday.

Hi everyone, I have a flight for the 19th of December that was also cancelled.
Does anyone knows if they will redirect the flights for some of their allies companies?

Don't know if just to ask for the refund (and wait God knows how long to receive the money back) or just keep waiting...

Thanks!

Ciao Marcela: I doubt they will do anything on their own. My situation is different since our flights were “purchased“ with award miles. My journalist source in Italy expects a decree from the Italian government within the next week or two regarding their rescue plan. There is a €100 million fund set aside to deal with the 255,000 reservations that Alitalia has from October 15 through May 31. Nobody knows yet how that fund will be used. A number of people, myself included, have posted about this in the Alitalia forum of flyertalk. Supposedly, the SkyTeam partners have not been very helpful but the situation might be better for cash customers.

Updating on the day of the change: ITA bought the Alitalia brand name so no one else could use it, and they're operating as ITA Airways for now with Alitalia aircraft and crew uniforms. There are media reports that they're joining SkyTeam.

They still aren't taking over the MilleMiglia program. The Alitalia site has a page on it:

If I'm reading it correctly, they're talking about earning miles with partner airlines but not redeeming them; the only redemption opportunity they mention is upcoming with lastminute.com , for air-hotel packages where nothing turns up if I search with a U.S. origination.

I‘m waiting to see what happens.

After trying unsuccessfully to reach them by phone a couple of months ago, I clicked on the refund link in the emails cancelling our two trips and filed our refund requests. Surprisingly, about three weeks later the miles were back in my account AND they refunded the fees to my credit card.

The EU barred ITA from bidding for MilleMiglia. Perhaps, someone else will make an offer. It would certainly be nice not to lose ~350,000 miles.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina