• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Help Needed Andalucian road-trip September/October

HappyTrails63

hello SlowEurope members

We are in the process of researching for a last minute trip to Spain ( dates most likely 25 Sept- 14 October ),we have a rough idea to start and finish at Malaga airport and in between spend 4 days on the costa de la luz in the vicinity of Zahara de los Atunes,then Cadiz,Sevilla,Jaen,Granada. We are keen walkers,cyclists and bodyboarders but first and foremost we are foodies. I have the Ciccerone Andalusia walking guide to point us in the right direction. Does anyone have any experience of hotels on the Atlantic coast?

I cannot help you with your hotel question, but make sure you add some of the white villages that overlook the Med as you travel westward. Inland one place we really enjoyed was Rhonda!

Being foodies, the best places you will discover along the way are in the small towns and villages.
We did have a wonderful meal in Marbella along the Promenade. Good food will not be hard to fine.

You will be in the land of Sherry when you get to Cadiz, but do try "Malaga" when there. It is category of sweet wines, many featuring the grape Pedro Ximenez. Definitely for sipping after a large meal. A couple years ago we opened a bottle of Pedro Ximenez 1974 (the year I graduated from high school) and it was absolutely amazing.

have fun!

Late Add: In one village I went into a small store that sold Malaga out of a barrel. For 3 euros I got a quart water bottle filled from the barrel with this glorious libation.

Thank you Colo! Great advice, things are coming together now we are going to Zahara de los Atunes and then to Cadiz,Jabugo then Sevilla.

Spain_Wvillage (2).jpg

Here is shot of one of the white villages. Notice in the bottom of the picture is a parking lot. The town is for walking. Cars are parked at the bottom of the hill.

Hi: We stayed in El Puerto de Santa Maria for a month and thoroughly enjoyed the area. Subsequent short visits have not altered our opinion. Cadiz city takes time to warm to; you may want to consider El Puerto as a base with a day trip or two to Cadiz. It's about a half hour by train, bus - or ferry ,if it's sailing.

Just south of Zahara, I recommend a visit to Baelo Claudia. Nearby the restaurant Otero had good meals at a reasonable price. Also close by is Vejar. It is also worth exploring. On the town's outskirts is the Venta Batato. It offered a reasonably priced "el menu".

The sherry triangle of El Puerto, Sanlucar and Jerez provides ample opportunity for sherry tasting. Our favourites are the Osborne bodega in El Puerto and Hildago (La Gitana) in Sanlucar. In Jerez, Gonsalves Byass (the Tio Pepe folks) offer a professional tour. Will you see the sherry-drinking mice? We didn't!

El Faro on Puerto's outskirts at the round-about on the highway to Rota is a place for a special dinner. Expensive (for us) but well-prepared food. The tasting menu looked special but was out of our price range. In Sanlucar, on the main square, Cabildo Taverna had a wide array of dishes offered in tapas, half and full ration sizes. We liked both the bombas (boiled potatoes with a meat filling in a tomato sauce) and the tortillitas de camarones.

Since you are walkers, you'll probably visit the Sierra de Grazalema Park .In the town of Grazalema I had a hearty plato del dia of homemade sausage, potatoes and eggs at the Lacidulia restaurant on the main square. However, Margaret was not impressed with her fish. The batter was too thick and old oil was used.

With 4 days in the area, they'll all be full!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina