• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Accommodations Any opinions on this cottage in Chipping Campden

CindyP

10+ Posts
Hello!
We are plodding away searching for places to stay now that we have our flights booked. We have decided to try for a week stay in Chipping Campden. If that doesn't work out we will either expand our search to include other areas or perhaps stay for a shorter period in something other than a cottage.

We found this place and it looks lovely. Very few reviews though. There was one slowtravel review that was a good one, but it's 10 years old.

One thing that has me a bit hesitant is that there is not a washer in the cottage. We will really need to do laundry while we are there. It does say that the owners, who have a house on the property, will allow you to use their washer/dryer "by arrangement" . I'm trying to clarify with the rental agency whether this info is accurate and if arrangements are easy to make. No response yet. I cannot find any way to contact the owners directly.

Has anyone had any experience with something like this? I hate to bother people when I need to do laundry and will miss the convenience of throwing a load in before bed or before we walk out of the house for the day. I don't know if this is a deal breaker for me or not.

Opinions appreciated. Oops, adding the link to the cottage: http://www.campdencottages.co.uk/re...&adults=2&nights=6&location=7532&location=All

Cindy

We booked the first one listed. Kettle Cottage. Price was right for 6 nights. I got a prompt response from the rental agency that there is no problem using the washing machine so I am hopeful it will all work out. We also liked being a bit (10 minutes walking) out of the center of town. Fingers crossed it is as nice as it looks.

We decided to add our extra night on to the stay in Bath, and have already booked an apartment through airbnb for the 5 nights!

Woo Hoo!

Next up London accomodations. I don't think that is going to happen today. I definitely need to research areas.

Cindy P.

Cool - I'm confident that that extra night in Bath will be good, but if nothing else, it's good insurance that if jet lag hits, you'll have an extra day to catch up.

We've rented from that agency before (a cottage across the street from where you'll be), and actually rented Kettle Cottage for some friends of ours a few years ago. I've been inside and liked it. It's a very good location, back off the street, and I remember the owner being very helpful. Don't feel awkward about the laundry!

You can walk to everything on the High Street... there's a small Coop grocery store, a greengrocers, maybe a new butcher, restaurants and tea shops. We highly recommend the pub/restaurant at the Lygon Arms (very near your cottage) and also the tea shop Badgers Hall for lunch or tea. If you are looking for an evening walk, try the walk down High Street and back on the "Back Ends." Be sure to peek in the little Ernest Wilson garden, a hidden treasure very near your cottage. The Tourist Office is a great resource, by the way.

And then there's so much else to see and do within 30 minutes...

I'm really glad it worked out for you to get a cottage... I hope you love Chipping Campden as much as we do. We're looking forward to being back for a month this summer.

Kathy

Ian, so true, if we want to be lie-abouts for a day we can, but I doubt that will happen. After the fatigue of the arrival day the adrenaline usually kicks in and we can't wait to get out and explore.

Artnbarb, what a coincidence that you looked at one and picked the other. We really were torn between the two cottages but went with the one a bit more out of the center, partly because we figured it would be easier to drive in and out of and it even had it's own parking area.

Kathy, you have made me breathe much easier, knowing that you've seen the cottage. It's always such a gamble picking a place. Though I do remember renting solely from reading descriptions on brochures sent by the owners or the local chambers of commerce. Talk about sight unseen! The internet makes our decisions both easier and harder, doesn't it. Thank you for all the tips. I can't imagine being anything but thrilled about this destination.

I'm hitting the guide books tonight to try to narrow down a neighborhood/area to stay in London.

Bless you all for all of your help.

Cindy

We booked the first one listed. Kettle Cottage. Price was right for 6 nights. I got a prompt response from the rental agency that there is no problem using the washing machine so I am hopeful it will all work out. We also liked being a bit (10 minutes walking) out of the center of town. Fingers crossed it is as nice as it looks.

We decided to add our extra night on to the stay in Bath, and have already booked an apartment through airbnb for the 5 nights!

Woo Hoo!

Next up London accomodations. I don't think that is going to happen today. I definitely need to research areas.

Cindy P.
Looks lovely!!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina