• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Apartment advice for Rome

foodiefrog

Hi Laura (and All). I'm brand new to this board and this thread is very informative!

I wanted to ask some questions on the apt you rented in Rome. I saw your summary earlier, and am considering renting FromHomeToRome when we hope to travel to Rome in May for ~4 nights. I'm trying to decide between the 2BR Rosetta House apt where you stayed near the Pantheon, and their 1BR CieloTerra House apt near Campo de Fiori. We are a papa, mama, and 8-yr-old. Our first time to Rome, and first international trip with our child!

I think I prefer to be near the Pantheon due to its slightly more central location but we'll spend more on the 2BR, whereas I think the 1BR in CdF would be big enough but it will be less central. Also, my mother-in-law is likely joining the trip and she wants to stay separate from us at Villa Spalletti on the NW edge of Monti. I anticipate having to walk there daily and am trying to figure out if being 10-15 minutes closer to her, as well as being more central, is worth spending extra on lodging (to be near the Pantheon vs CdF)?

Also, would you recommend FromHomeToRome for us given the makeup of our family?

Also, is 4 nights about right for Rome? We would have the arrival afternoon/night, plus 3 full days, before we head to the national parks in Abruzzo! Then we would return to Rome just to fly out, and depending on the timing we may need to stay in Rome 1 more night.

Do you or anyone have any thoughts you'd be willing to share?

Thank you!

I've not stayed here but just reserved the owner's 3 Bed / 2 Bath in the same listing as this 2 Bed / 1 Bath.

http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p1706533?uni_id=3281216

It is right near the Pantheon. The photos on the Homeaway site show both apartments so I contacted the owner who promptly sent me photos of only the apartment I was interested in that included additional photos not on the Homeaway site. I've had good luck with Homeaway and have been able to find additional reviews for some of their apartments that are also listed on other sites (for example, SleepInItaly.com lists the 3 Bed / 3 Bath I just reserved). I never reserved an apartment that didn't have reviews.

Hi Foodiefrog,

Since this was our first trip to Rome, I am no expert. 4 days sounds short, though.

As to FromHometoRome, I thought they were great. They responded to international emails promptly and answered all questions. The apartment was as photographed, better even. It was HUGE. While in Rome we had the phone number and email to ask questions (about recycling, etc.) and those, too, were answered quickly.

The apartment is great. You didn't include the link to the other apartment, so I'm not sure what is included. What is most important to you? Make a list of pros/cons for each and go with the winner. If your MIL doesn't HAVE to stay in separate accommodations, the 2BR would be big enough for all of you as the sofa is a pull out and/or your 8 y/o could drag the cushions into the master bedroom (it's huge) OR even sleep with gramma in her room as there are 2 twin beds.

Hope this helps,
Laura

They're a good agency who should be able to answer questions and make suggestions on your family make-up for the trip. I also like Rome Loft. We used Eats and Sheets for a great apartment near the Colosseum and they were helpful.

Personally, I don't like the Campo dei Fiori area for lodgings. It's fine during the day but at night it becomes party central with loads of international students boozing it up, yelling, and being obnoxious until the wee hours.

Three or four days for a first trip is nice; that way you get the flavor and sights without overload (especially with a youngster). There will always be another trip to get more indepth. For the last night we always preferred to be closer to the airport than schlepping luggage into the city for one night, then early rising to get a cab or train to the airport. I like to stay at Ostia Lido (as long as it isn't full summer with the crowds and higher prices), so I can walk around the town and along the seafront rather than being right at airport at a sterile isolated hotel.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina