• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Arrival and travel to Calabria help

RachelP

10+ Posts
We are going to a town called Roccella Ionica in Calabria in August (yes I know it's hot). :D
We fly from Australia, so you can imagine we are feeling pretty average when we arrive - family of 5 with older kids.
In the past we have stayed a few nights in Rome to decompress and enjoy the sights, but after a long trip last year (9 weeks) and many times passing through Rome we are somewhat tired of the busyness and the difficulty of moving around.
The flights often arrive super early morning, like 7 am and I have considered getting on a train that day, even going part of the way, but to where?
Getting to Roccella totally by train is a bit of a nightmare (we just did it in August 2023) and I am considering going as far as Lamezia terme and getting picked up by a driver there.
Any great suggestions as to where we could stop off on the way? Not super busy (so not Napoli) and easy with 5 people without a car.
Look forward to hearing your thoughts!
Rachel

Honestly, you may want to fly down to Lamezia Terme or Reggio Calabria from Rome, just to be done with the traveling. It's a long way down there. You could spend the arrival day/night somewhere near Fiumicinio (Ostia, Cerveteri, etc) if you want a break from traveling, then fly down the next day (or same day, depending on your preference). Otherwise, train to Salerno (basically end of the line on Italo Treno) and spend a night or two in Salerno or Vietri sul Mare, the "end" of the Amalfi Coast, or train to Lamezia or Reggio Calabria on the Freccia Rossa Trenitalia system and drive, or Sibari on the Freccia Argento. Again, that's a lot of train and traveling. Personally, I'd fly.

You could spend the arrival day/night somewhere near Fiumicinio (Ostia, Cerveteri, etc) if you want a break from traveling, then fly down the next day (or same day, depending on your preference).
Very good to throw this idea into the equation.

Having flown to/from Aus/NZ a few times, I certainly appreciate how draining the experience can be. Grabbing a shower at a mid-journey transfer worked wonders, as did staying overnight once mid way. Likewise, arriving tired in Melbourne at 2am, getting to a motel and straight to sleep, made for a surprisingly bright and early (and energised) start to the following day.

So for me I'd let the arrival timing strongly influence the plans. e.g.

- If arriving at 7am, look at buying use of a shower on arrival (e.g. at the airport). It might just buy the energy and grunge removal that sees weary travellers through the day, and that might mean getting the rest of the major travel out of the way on the arrival day.
- If arriving midday, then aim straight for the hotel/apartment and as they're often free from ~ 2pm, this could be in reasonable range, and freshening up, changing clothes and grabbing a coffee is often super for getting you through the day (and mitigating / sometimes avoiding jetlag
- If arriving late afternoon / evening / night-time, it's probably fully focused on getting to a good place to sleep, ASAP, even if that's only a convenient over-nighter

Fco also has at least one hotel physically attached to the airport so you could walk to your room from the gate. It’s the Rome airport Hilton I think. Probably not at all cheap but maybe worth it.

Fco also has at least one hotel physically attached to the airport so you could walk to your room from the gate. It’s the Rome airport Hilton I think. Probably not at all cheap but maybe worth it.
This is the FCO Hilton. We just booked a room for our July departure for 316E. The Hello Sky is inside the terminal building. I believe they offer lounge, shower, and sleep options. No idea on price.

If interested in just a shower or a room for a few hours at FCO, Hello Sky is a good option - right in the airport. https://hellosky.travel/locations/

My sister always books a shower at Hello Sky upon arrival. You can also add a day room for an hour or two to rest. She does just the shower, which gives her enough energy to get to the Tiburtina train station and the train down to the south.

Some hotels in the area will allow day use but you have to contact them directly to ask and set it up. I'd try the Best Western FCO, Sheraton, Holiday Inn, Courtyard, ecc the ones that have shuttles and would be more likely than an Italian hotel to offer that option.(We did day use once at the Holiday Inn.)

Someone mentioned HelloSky for, for example, a 7 a.m. arrival; note that their day rooms become available at 10, and I remember seeing that they don't hold baggage for before that. The showers become available at 7; if you book a half-hour time for that, there's the worry of whether your flight will arrive on time and how long it will take to clear formalities.

Yes, you would want to allow some time for passport control and baggage claim and getting to Hello Sky. My sister has used it 4 times for the showers and never had a problem. I will have to ask her how long after scheduled arrival she books it and let you know.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina