• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Article about one of the last master gondola makers

joe

1000+ Posts
An interesting article from The Craftsmanship magazine, about gondola makers. Thought this might interest the Venice lovers here (and take our minds off the vaccine....;)).

From the article :
"Of Venice’s four gondola makers, only two work at this craft full-time, Roberto being one of them. In the course of a 40-year career, he says he has made some 300 gondolas, spending 6 days a week measuring, sawing, sanding, lifting, hammering, calculating, recalculating. Each gondola, which costs between 50,000 to 100,000 euros (or $59,000 to $118,000) can require 400 hours of work, or between one and two months. “I make four to five each year,” he said; “you can’t do more.”

Even at that somewhat merciless rate, Roberto’s waiting list was always long—before the crisis struck you’d have had to wait two to two-and-a-half years for your boat. At this point, he says, he’s beginning to feel tired, even though he’s only 57."

Last edited:
I can't remember if it was Rick Steves or some other program that did a segment on a gondola maker. It was very interesting and I wonder if it was this gentleman who they profiled.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina