• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Article - French dog owners least likely to clean up after their pooches

Pauline

Forums Admin
It has certainly been my experience traveling in France that there is a lot of dog poop on the sidewalks. The first thing I did on our visit to the Loire Valley was step in so much dog poop that I had to pressure wash it off my shoes. In Montpellier we watched the city worker in a special machine cleaning up poop. (Maybe I have a photo of that!!)

The Telegraph (UK) - Sacre bleu! French dog owners least likely to clean up after their pooches, by Patrick Sawer 08 Mar 2015
The Italians do it, the British do it, but the French and Germans just can't be bothered. Which country's dog owners clear up after their pooch's mess?

From the article: "Toby Massey, co-founder of Beco Pets, found that French dog owners expect their pet’s mess to be picked up by the country’s army of municipal street sweepers and are loathe to do so themselves"

It makes sense to me. The one time I took a dog for a walk and had to scoop up, it was kind of disgusting.

Pooper Scooper in Montpellier.

montpellier-3760.jpg

The worst city I remember for dog poop is Venice, although admittedly it's been several years since we were there. But I recall quite a bit on those narrow streets where it was hard to avoid stepping in it. I do think it's gotten better in Paris in the years we've been going there, but maybe that's just because the street cleaners do a pretty good job.

David Jaggard's recent column in Paris Update addressed, among other topics, the issue of dog poop: The Good Old Days in Paris -- or Were They? He says that the "pooper scooper" law passed a few years back has helped quite a bit. I wonder if any other French cities have the stiff fines that Paris now does for owners who get caught not picking up.

Great article Roz, thanks for posting the link. I like David's articles and missed that one.

People who don't deal with their dog crap is a huge topic in our village monthly newspaper.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina