• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Article - Roman boat found in Rhone

Pauline

Forums Admin
Chris sent me the link to this interesting article:

The Provence Post - Look what they pulled up from the Rhone by Sharon deRham
"Just like many of us here in Provence, Sharon deRham was fascinated by the story surrounding the Roman barge (or "chaland") that was pulled from the depths of the Rhône River at Arles nine years ago."

The Archaeology Museum in Arles, mentioned in the article, is excellent. We visited it last year.

She does not mention this in the article, but this sort of relates to Via Domitia, the Roman road (the first one built in Gaul) that went from Italy to Spain. The book I read ("Roman Provence", Edwin Mullins) said they do not know how the Via Domitia crossed the Rhone. It continues on the west side of the river near Beaucaire (there are still mileage markers there), so they think there was a bridge at one time. But that may have been washed out and they may have crossed on a pontoon bridge downriver near Arles. If so, this is in the same area where this barge was found.

I agree, the museum in Arles is excellent. Even more impressive than the barge, I thought was the bust of Julius Caesar, found at the bottom of the river around the same time as the barge. Apparently, it is one of the rare likenesses of Caesar to be found anywhere in the world. I found the sculpture captivating.

- Kevin

p.s.: I recommend a visit to the museum first before taking in the Roman ruins in Arles (or anywhere in the area for that matter). It's great to have a bit of background and history before taking in the actual sites.

The museum in Arles was fantastic, but I love seeing the Roman ruins out in the "real world".

I think this is just me, but I glaze over after 30 minutes in a museum. I would rather read a good book at home to learn more (like Roman Provence by Edwin Mullins - I am enjoying that book). I find I don't always retain what I see in a museum. (I don't have an academic bone in my body.)

I know the museums have the best bits, taken from the ruins, but for me it is the ruins that are "magic". Being right there in the amphitheater or walking along part of Via Domitia. I will never forget the evening we arrived in Arles and I saw the amphitheater for the first time, but I am struggling to remember what I saw in the museum.

But, recently we saw the Elgin Marbles at the British Museum in London, and they were incredible. I think if I go into a museum with one or two specific things to see, I enjoy it more.

So I would go to see this boat - but maybe I saw it last year (I think I would remember it).

Photo of the amphitheater in Arles.

arles-3280.jpg

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina