• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Article: Save Traditional Paella

Pauline

Forums Admin
There is an interesting article in today's Guardian (UK) about traditional Paella and how people are changing the recipe.

Wikipaella on mission to save rice dish from being lost in translation
Valencian trio hopes site brings traditional recipes to masses and rescues paella from further bastardisation by Jamie Oliver et al.

An article from 2011 - How to Cook Perfect Paella

The only Paella I have ever had was cooked by Shannon (and was fabulous) because I don't eat seafood or meat, so can never order it in a restaurant. Shannon made a vegetarian version at one of her San Diego parties.

Paella comes in many forms... the first Paella supposedly did not have any seafood in it! And I am sure my "veggie" version would turn some purists heads. (I made that at Chris's house in Sacramento by the way. Matt (Rar) was there and said I should have put meat.)

A few months ago a poster on slowtalk posted a link to his blog where he'd invented a new dish - "Paella Alla Toscana." I had to bite my tongue!

I don't eat seafood or meat, so can never order it in a restaurant.

Sure you can! It would not make the purists happy, but here is a sign I saw in Madrid...
IMG_1375.JPG

I remember that paella! That was delicious! I also remember Matt's comment. I wonder whatever happened to him. (For those who don't know, he was an early member of the slowtrav message board, much younger than most of us and a very good writer--his travel blog was fabulous.)

I remember dinner at your house Chris, and I remember Matt - but I don't remember Shannon and the Paella there. I have such a bad memory!! I do remember the Paella :)

After I shut down my computer tonight I thought about looking for a photo. What was the date? And why am I wearing grubby old jeans?

Hi all, this is really interesting... Especially as in my opinion there is no Paella "recipe". Sure you have the basic ingredients but then Par excellence, paella is the dish with a million variants. Every village, every household, has its own version. The "official" recipe is a a starting-point, from which you can go on, with a little practice, to develop your very own version.

Taken from my info and recipe article at Ronda Today.

"Curiously enough, this most Spanish of all dishes, which is practically a byword for “Spanishness”, is neither Spanish, nor is it known as “paella” here in Spain! The original recipe is lost in the mists of time, but scholars now believe that the dish was brought to Iberia by the Phoenicians, long before the birth of Christ.

If you wish to discuss paella with a Spaniard, please refer to it as “arroz” (rice), because that’s the name by which we know it. Though the most famous version hales from Valencia, paella is regarded as a local specialty in just about every corner of Spain."

And if Pauline allows me, here is the link to the recipe.
EDIT: Took the link away as the site is in my signature. Just search for Paella :)

EDIT by Pauline: Here is the link - Ronda Today - Spanish Paella Recipe

Last edited by a moderator:

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina