• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

August 5 days in....... help!

RachelP

10+ Posts
Hello again
I have posed this question before. I am still trying to find my ideal spot for 5 days in August (15-20) for our family of 6. we will be flying from Catania... so can be into Rome, Milan, Verona... all have good deals with Ryanair. Seriously considering Bagni di Lucca (looking for small town feel, quietish, little cafes and restaurants, plus a day trip into Lucca). The town of Bagni di Lucca itself. Also would need to get there from probably Florence airport by public transport (doable?)
The other consideration is somewhere around lake Como.... like Menaggio, Varenna. We have been to como itself before and love the lake feel. There isa Lido in Menaggio and a 'lake pool' that I read about in Varenna. Again it would be by PT or transfer which I think is not bad from Milan.
We will be travelling on to Spello directly
Your thoughts?
Or, throw me a curve ball if you have one :D
Many thanks.

Pisa the other obvious airport for Bagni di Lucca, and has the added advantage of a train station for easier connections.

Checking their website, these appear to be the candidates
Bologna
Cagliari
Milan Bergamo
Milan Malpensa
Perugia
Pisa
Rome Fiumicino
Trieste
Turin
Venice M.Polo
Venice Treviso

Perugia jumps out for ease - so close to Spello that even with the usual rigmarole of packing/unpacking, checking out/in, plus travel time, it could you cost you just the lunchtime closing period! Perugia itself might be a little large for what you want, but what about an outlying town/village with connections to the city? Assisi also an obvious option - even closer to Spello.

Last edited:
We go to Bagni di Lucca a lot to meet up with friends who live near there -- it meets all your criteria for quiet environment and nice places to eat. We have a home near Lucca, so are obviously biased to the area and would highly recommend your plan to stay in the valley. It will also give you a little cooler temps for August than many other places in Italy. Not sure about public transportation to the area. If you had a car, would recommend a couple little restaurants up in the hills near Bagni for field trips (and some "why am I on this road" moments).

Thank you both for your comments... yes, Pisa of course...
Regarding Bagni di Lucca, is there a particular village you recommend or are they all equally charming

In Bagni di Lucca, we prefer Il Sonno for pizzas and dinners. Simple menu, but very friendly staff. If you can get further afield (and don't mind some narrow, very hilly roads) we have three favorites.

Buca di Baldabo in Vico Pancellorum. Lots of wild game featured on menu; great pastries for dessert.

Locanda il Cavellino Bianco in Benabbio. As with all three of these, very informal; rustic appearance to buildings and interiors; great staff.

Bar Marina in Casoli Val di Lima. Have only eaten outside, so not sure about inside seating. Have yet to find anything on menu that we didn't like.

For Lucca, try Da Giuglio, Gigi Trattoria (reservations usually needed for Gigi's), and our new favorite, Ubaldos (where you might be entertained by Ubaldo himself -- kind of a satanic biker in appearance, but used to run one of the top restaurants in Lucca with his parents before going out on his own -- very eclectic setting and menu, but located right beside the amphitheater and a fun place to eat and watch the crowd go by). Gigi's can be crowded and noisy inside, so try for outside seating.

Am sure you know about the Devil's Bridge being the main visual attraction near Bagni di Lucca at Borgo a Mozzano -- the bar at the town side of the bridge below the dam is a nice stop for gelato.

Erika Jarman, a small group tour guide, lives in Bagni di Lucca and knows all the best local spots (IMO). She has connections for services, etc., too. LMK if you would like to know about her 1-2 day courses in artisan foods (gelato making; salumi, bread or cheese production by Italian artisans). She is also connected to the theater and music scene in Lucca, if that is off interest.

Ciao,
Cheryl
www.italianexcursion.com

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina