• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Help Needed Aveyron?

Amy

100+ Posts
We are considering a week in the Aveyron in early June, based in a rental in Villefranche-de-Rouergue. Any recommendations regarding particularly interesting towns or churches (especially Romanesque), scenic drives, sites, restaurants, markets?
Thank you!

It does depend on how long you want to drive for day trips. We stayed a week in the Aveyron in Marcillac Vallon in 2012, but some of the places we visited eg St Eulalie d'Olt and Estaing, which are both beautiful, would be too far.

I agree with Ken about Conques. It is special and the Tresor is wonderful - such intricate workmanship. Definitely visit Najac and stop at the belvedere for a view of the village. St Cirq Lapopie is about 38 kms and is a Plus Beau Village. It is quite busy but is beautiful. Even Cordes sur Ciel is only about 45 kms away, and Penne about 55kms. We would do a day trip of that distance, but some people consider that too far. Belcastel is another. I always look at the stations of the cross in churches and the one there has interesting ones with slumped glass features. St Antonin Noble Val ( where the movie The Hundred Foot Journey was filmed ) is a lovely small town, and, of course, Figeac.

It is a lovely area. Have fun.

Reactions: Amy
Najac is a lovely village not far away.
Belcastel is another beautiful village, and the drives there from every direction is enchanting.
I love Figeac and rent regularly along the Lot-Célé confluence near Figeac. One thing about the Museum of Writing. It is indeed fascinating, not backed up by the best research. In its ancient writing I found 20th century Chinese writing system invented in 1948 by the communists to simplify the characters. What's up with that.
I find Conques beautiful but has too many religious geegaws. The St Jean Pied de Port syndrome.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina