• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Spain Barcelona Accommodation

Johnny Canuck

10+ Posts
We are still searching for accommodation in Barcelona from 27 April to 1st May 2024 and would prefer mid to upscale in a good area; quiet but still close enough to get about and enjoy the city attractions and eat out for dinner. Does anyone have specific recommendations? We've heard that Eixample is a good area and there is one place on Calle Padilla and Gran Via that I have been in contact with, but looking at the map, it seems that there is a major confluence of busy roads there.
Any comments or advice?

I must have stayed more than 10 times at BCNGotic on C/ Argenteria in the Borne neighborhood.
Although the street is bustling, the apartments are excellently soundproof.
BCNGotic operates an office in the building. I am grateful that any problem is taken care of immediately. The heating and aircon work perfectly.
The metro station Jaume I is very near.
We walk nearly everywhere.
We love the market Mercado Santa Caterina, 5 minutes walk away.
Our favorite pre-dinner apéritif place is the opulent bar inside the Paau de Musiica, about 7, 8 minutes walk away.
Our after-dinner bar is the beautiful small bar Rubis, practically downstairs.
Our favorite nearby tapas bars are Euskal Etsea and Bilbao Berria.
Our go-to seafood joint, in the old fishermen's neighborhood of Barceloneta, is Bombeta, also within walkable distance.
Our favorite upscale restaurant is Dos Pebrots, an El Bulli "spawn", thanks to Shannon Essa's recommendation.

Anohter nice rental in my beloved Borne neighborhood is Inside BCN.

Another

Hello Parigi
Thank you for your comments. There is some super information there and I am taking it all onboard.
We have found accommodation in BCN, but it's good to hear about bar, tapas and restaurant recommendations.

I forgot:
One place you can skip is the Mercat Boqueria. Worse than being overrun by touriists, a big part - more than 50% - of the market now is catering to tourists instead of being a market. Most of the stands are now juice stands and street food stalls selling refried seafood not particularly fresh. The writings on the wall have appeared for years for this once unique market in the world, but I still recommend that friends visit it for at least once, to experience the market overwhelm.
For the barrios of the Borne and Sant Pere, for years I have much preferred the Mercat Santa Catarina, not only for the many good butchers and fishmongers, but also for the two cafés for a leisurely breakfast. I even prefer the Santa Catarina to the Barceloneta market, although one might think the latter would have better seafood,d as the barrio was the old fishermen's neighborhood and is closer to the sea.

So you think we should still visit Mercat Boqueria to get a flavour of of what it offers, but actually spend more time at Santa Catarina?
We love walking through genuine markets and taking our time, but not sure we're much interested in being swamped by crowds.

So you think we should still visit Mercat Boqueria to get a flavour of of what it offers, but actually spend more time at Santa Catarina?
We love walking through genuine markets and taking our time, but not sure we're much interested in being swamped by crowds.
No I think you can skip it. Today it has neither substance nor atmosphere.

Several years ago we stayed at Hotel Aranea, in the Eixample area. It seemed more a business hotel, not touristy, quite modern. We walked everywhere from here! There was a grocery nearby and a cafe/bakery where we had breakfast every morning (the hotel does have a restaurant).
My notes of "must sees" in Barcelona:
  • Sagrada Familia – go in morning, as early as possible – less crowded. In addition to admission ticket, buy the guided audio tour
  • Catedral de la Seu – beautiful
  • Palau de la Musica Catalana – MUST SEE, either as a tour or attend a concert if anything is available. The acoustics were incredible. We asked for the best seats available, and ended up in the upper balcony, but it was still good. Side seats have limited view of the stage. (it’s a weird seating configuration). Even if you sit up high, be sure to walk into the orchestra seating area. Our concert was at 7:30, still light out, which was nice because the hall is filled with stained glass windows.
  • Picasso Museum – must see – very good. Check what days it is closed when you plan your visit.
  • Casa Mila (Guadi apartment building) – buy tickets for the tour online or in person – tour goes to one floor of the apartment building that is refurbished as period apartments. Also a museum floor and the roof. You will get a ticket for a particular time . Other Gaudi buildings on the street.
  • Montjuic – we took the funicular up, then walked up steps higher. Good view of the city and other things to see there.
  • Joan Miro Museum – if you haven’t gotten tired of modern art yet (on Montjuic)
  • Park Guell – another Gaudi creation, along with his house. Quite interesting. The walk from the metro station was long/hard even for us. There is a bus that takes you closer up the hill – try to figure that out before going
  • Santa Maria Del Mar – another very pretty church, if you are nearby

Several years ago we stayed at Hotel Aranea, in the Eixample area. It seemed more a business hotel, not touristy, quite modern. We walked everywhere from here! There was a grocery nearby and a cafe/bakery where we had breakfast every morning (the hotel does have a restaurant).
My notes of "must sees" in Barcelona:
  • Sagrada Familia – go in morning, as early as possible – less crowded. In addition to admission ticket, buy the guided audio tour
  • Catedral de la Seu – beautiful
  • Palau de la Musica Catalana – MUST SEE, either as a tour or attend a concert if anything is available. The acoustics were incredible. We asked for the best seats available, and ended up in the upper balcony, but it was still good. Side seats have limited view of the stage. (it’s a weird seating configuration). Even if you sit up high, be sure to walk into the orchestra seating area. Our concert was at 7:30, still light out, which was nice because the hall is filled with stained glass windows.
  • Picasso Museum – must see – very good. Check what days it is closed when you plan your visit.
  • Casa Mila (Guadi apartment building) – buy tickets for the tour online or in person – tour goes to one floor of the apartment building that is refurbished as period apartments. Also a museum floor and the roof. You will get a ticket for a particular time . Other Gaudi buildings on the street.
  • Montjuic – we took the funicular up, then walked up steps higher. Good view of the city and other things to see there.
  • Joan Miro Museum – if you haven’t gotten tired of modern art yet (on Montjuic)
  • Park Guell – another Gaudi creation, along with his house. Quite interesting. The walk from the metro station was long/hard even for us. There is a bus that takes you closer up the hill – try to figure that out before going
  • Santa Maria Del Mar – another very pretty church, if you are nearby
Thank you so much. They are all fabulous suggestions.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina