• Click CONTACT US in the footer if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Base city in Belgium - Bruges, Brussels, or Ghent?

KathyH

I'm in the beginning stages of planning a trip to Amsterdam and Belgium in September 2020. I plan to have at least 3-4 days in Belgium and know I want to visit all three cities. I like art, history, food,and beer. I'd like opinions on which city to use as a base and why you suggest it. I'm a woman solo traveler in my very early 60's. Thanks!!

Kathrynj

10+ Posts
I spent a couple of weeks in Belgium in the fall. I stayed in Brussels but visited Ghent and Bruges. While I loved both Bruges and Ghent, I would choose Ghent as a home base. It’s somewhat less crowded than Bruges and is between Bruges and Brussels. There is a handy tram from the train station to the old town part. Brussels is also nice but they are doing a lot of construction to pedestrianize the streets and it’s a bit of a mess. The other two are just more charming to me.
Antwerp is also a lovely city to visit.

KathyH

I spent a couple of weeks in Belgium in the fall. I stayed in Brussels but visited Ghent and Bruges. While I loved both Bruges and Ghent, I would choose Ghent as a home base. It’s somewhat less crowded than Bruges and is between Bruges and Brussels. There is a handy tram from the train station to the old town part. Brussels is also nice but they are doing a lot of construction to pedestrianize the streets and it’s a bit of a mess. The other two are just more charming to me.
Antwerp is also a lovely city to visit.
Thanks for the info, that's really helpful!

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

New resources