• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Base for Exploring Itria Valley

Kportgrl

10+ Posts
Would it be better to use a base such as Martina Franca to explore this area for a few days or is it not too far from Ostuni to see a few towns as a day trip? Not sure how long the drive might be in real time, or how much there is to see. Many thanks.

Definitely doable as day trip(s) from Ostuni, in our experience. It's less than 25 miles from Ostuni to Alberobello: I'd probably choose to drive there first in the morning (avoiding the worst of the crowds), see the trulli zone, and then stop off in Locorotondo (probably the most charming of the valley towns) for lunch and a pre/post-lunch stroll on the way back to Ostuni.

Martina Franca is a bit larger than the other towns, and has a particularly handsome centro storico. It's good to visit it in the evening - lots of elegant streets and squares for the passeggiata!

The problem with planning daytrips in Southern Italy is that everything except restaurants tends to shut down at around 1/1.30, and won't open again until around 5pm: this is true for most churches and museums as well as shops.

Agreed very doable, we day-tripped to Ostuni from further north (Speziale)

Time of year may affect my preference. We stayed at an agriturismo near a small village in early November. In hindsight I would have instead chosen to stay inside one of the larger towns, as night drawing in early is quite limiting (the driving is typically easy outside the towns, but we're not fans of night driving). I reckon the evening passeggiata is an ideal time to see places, but we were missing out on this. In the 4-5 months covering summer and the warmer adjoining seasons, I'd be happy to stay in a cool, shady apartment in a town, but otherwise would look for somewhere out in the countryside with a pool as it would be hotter than we'd normally experience.

If staying in Martina Franca, I'd recommend getting a place with a reserved parking place as parking can be problematic here (FWIW we got lucky twice with a largish car park, but that was perfect timing. Others I know have struggled to find a space)

I liked Locorotondo with it's charming historic area. Parking was very easy.

We used a trullo just outside Cisternino in the Itria Valley as a base and did day trips in all of the Salento area, including down to Leuca. Roads are good compared to what we frequently find here in Basilicata - not as mountainous.

Martina Franca is a very charming town with a lot of activity all year.

In Locorotondo there is an albergo diffuso with some very interesting rooms and a large parking area just outside of the centro storico.

Just a follow up on the driving.

Outside the towns the roads are quiet, often straight with good visibility (though both are less so in the hilly areas). Road markings seemed decent with less commercial 'noise' than in some other parts of Italy. In short, the majority is really straightforward and easy.

The caveat is going through the towns and villages themselves, which can be a little complex, sometimes narrow, a few one way streets, and more traffic (but we never saw it genuinely busy). Throw in confident local driving, and the whole ends up as short pockets of focus and stress, separated by much larger chunks of relaxing driving.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina