• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

South West Beautiful, Wonderful Wells, Somerset

Lisa in Ottawa

500+ Posts
What can I say, we adored Wells and the surrounding countryside. Such a change from Glastonbury. Dominated by the incredible Wells Cathedral it also has many other wonderful buildings such as Vicars Close and Bishops Palace. Beautiful parks and very accessible to wonderful walks.

There are footpaths leading right from Wells into the countryside to Ebbor Gorge and other spots in the Mendlip Hills. We had a lovely ramble to stunning Ebbor Gorge. The last day we drove back towards Glastonbury to climb up to Glastonbury Tor, We were lucky and had the most incredible views.

We stayed in the countryside just a couple of minutes outside the city. We walked into Wells. It was situated on a 14 acre estate surrounded by public footpaths. An old rambling house run by the lovely Hollie. While it was a 13 bedroom bb, each floor had a tiny kitchenette where you could prepare simple meals. We heated up Waitrose prepared and ate in front of a roaring fire in the bar room. There was also a drawing room that looked out onto the splendid gardens and beyond. It was an amazing place. Beryls. It wasn't fussy or cutesy but everything about it was very thoughtful.
One of the many things I liked about Wells is that while it is in a most picturesque setting it still felt real like a working town and not just there to looked at by us gawking tourists.

Our bb host told us that Wells had lost much of it's industry over the last several years as more and more places move offshore. This had adversely affected her business as has the ability of businesses to communicate via internet. So no need to travel to meet associates and overnight.

I took tons of pictures but sadly on my mobile and I;m not very good about emailing them to myself and then uploading. Just trust me, this is a marvelous area.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina