• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Belgium Being Back in Brugge Belgium 2018

JustTravel

1000+ Posts
Contest 2019 Winner!
We have arrived!

This is home for a little while.

fullsizeoutput_24b1.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_24b0.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_30cd.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_30cc.jpeg

.....more later.

Still battling jet lag but the flat already feels like home. The suitcases are empty and put away; the fridge is full; and there are flowers on the tables. But I lack sleep.

We like our apartment. It is spacious and well appointed, clean and scent-free.

We arrived Monday evening at around 6:30pm, very tired with no sleep in 27 hours and rather hungry for home cooked meal. Altho we chose healthier alternatives, the smell of lounge and airplane food had made me nauseous. So we quickly went to the supermarket before its closing time of 7:30 to pick-up something quick to cook which ended up being chicken & potatoes pan-fried in a little olive oil and asparagus. We went to bed at around 11:30.

fullsizeoutput_30e1.jpeg

Last edited:
Thursday: lots of walking, catching up with friends we met last year, and looking for flowers

fullsizeoutput_30ec.jpeg

.....too late for the daffodils at the Begijhof

fullsizeoutput_30f5.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_30f4.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_30f6.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_30f8.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_30fd.jpeg

.....the green house caught my eye

fullsizeoutput_3101.jpeg

.....one of the installations for the Triënnale Brugge 2018

fullsizeoutput_30ff.jpeg

.....for sale

Last edited:
Saturday and Sunday: We woke up to overcast skies and rain was forecasted. We went out with our umbrellas and walked to the other weekly market on the the other side of 't Zand. We didn't buy too much, just some pears and Belgian white asparagus.

fullsizeoutput_317a.jpeg

We also stopped in at Kaasbolle cheese shop for goat cheese, comté and parmigiano.

It started raining on our way home. I was going to take a walk in the late afternoon but it continued to rain gently. So, I stayed in.

It rained all day on Sunday; never made it outside.

Sunday dinner
fullsizeoutput_317e.jpeg

We are hoping for a dry day tomorrow.

Last edited:
It rained all night and the first part of the morning. By the mid morning, it has stopped so I went out to get some walking done. And then I realized that tomorrow is a holiday, so I did some food shopping at the bakery, deli/butcher shop, wine shop and supermarket. I asked about closures tomorrow: supermarket - close; bakery, deli/butcher and wine shops will all be open. Oh, well.....

I revisited the cathedral, Sint-Salvatorskathedraal. The oldest parts are from the 12th century. Beautiful inside -

IMG_3246.JPG

the altar​

fullsizeoutput_318f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3184.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3185.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_318b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3187.jpeg

The weather today was simply wonderful - warm without being too hot. I walked over 20,000 steps within the city.

Enjoyed looking at this beautiful wisteria.
fullsizeoutput_321c.jpeg

We first did some food shopping. While waiting for my turn to be served at Maertens, I snapped these photos. There were a lot of ready-made food, cheese, deli meats, raw meats, etc. etc.
fullsizeoutput_321a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_321b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_312a.jpeg

Today I bought raw ground beef, serrano ham, regular ham slices, and two kinds of patè at Maertens. The cheese we bought from two other cheese shops.

Yesterday, Ascension Day, I watched the Procession of the Holy Blood for the second year. Last year I took over three hundred pictures; this year not so much. We rented a couple of front row chairs along Mariastraat for €5 each. I enjoyed watching the participants of all ages and admired the costuming.

The procession started at the Garden of Eden to the resurrection of Christ.

fullsizeoutput_32cb.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3260.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3270.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3289.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_328f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_329f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_32a8.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_32ad.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_32b3.jpeg

.....even the gruesome​

fullsizeoutput_32ba.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_32bb.jpeg

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina