• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Food & Drink Best European Cheeses?

marcus_kincaid

Greetings! I apologize in advance if this is not the correct place to post this question.

I’m planning to open a store in my country which would sell imported cheeses from all over the world! During my research, I stumbled upon this map of various European cheeses:

34161689_381623715653688_5142948523477565440_n.jpg

I’d like to know whether these European cheeses that are shown accurately represent the best cheeses from Europe? If not, I would be more than glad to hear some other suggestions.

Cheers!

If running a shop, I believe it's often not 'the best' that's important, but covering as many customers with your selections. Perhaps only a handful of stores worldwide could simply just buy what they believe is best e.g. Neal's Yard in UK can probably do this, but I'm not sure others in the UK can.

What I think this list is very good at, is picking famous cheeses, which at their best are worthy of high praise, but some suffer from having a lot of poor versions of them e.g. Cheddar, Edam where the majority is produced on an industrial scale and the industrial standards. I'd suggest great cheddar probably represents c. 1% of the market, and not sure if Edam even hits that number!

It should be a very useful list, and one where you can try your customers and see what they enjoy. Perhaps (and logisitics might make this a practical way to order in) have a monthly focus, including setting up a cheese tasting group amongst keen customers). E.g. One month Italy, the next Scandanavia, then Spain and Portugal, then (soft) French, followed by (hard) French, then Greece, Albania, Cyprus etc, then the UK, Central eastern Europe, then Germany and Switzerland. Perhaps also making pre-prepared selections to sell 'on theme' to those interested, but not in the tasting group.

Whatever is popular, can be re-ordered and stocked, getting your customers to guide you to what they'll buy.

Other cheese that have excited me personally:
- Vignotte, an intensely creamy pale French cheese, which can be good for people who want a strong but not at all challenging taste
- Smoked Mozzarella / Smoked Burrata. Both cheeses when soft-smoked (i.e. not Scamorza, which I find oddly dull) are brilliant with fancy salads, but also great on Pizza, or with cured meats.
- Appenzaler from Switzerland, a hard cheese with a touch of bitterness, that might put a few people off, but I like it
- Dolcelatte from Italy worth considering alongside Gorgonzola
- 'Malga' cheese from the mountains of Trentino Italy, which at it's best is creamy, grassy, even faintly herby
- Montagnolo from Germany, a very subtle and creamy blue cheese, similar to Cambozola
- Gubbeen, a reasonably hard cheese from Ireland that can take some moderate ageing very well indeed.
- Surprising Manchego from Spain didn't make the list, as it's possibly the most recognisable Spanish cheese over here. Worth exploring the Basque cheeses as well.
- ... but I really do love tasting cheeses I've not tasted before.

Local cheeses to me, which I really like and buy regularly
- Baron Bigod (from Bungay, Suffolk, UK), made next door to a friend of mine, it's a brie style, but made with full fat, unpasteurised milk from their own cows (the milk is great too - just like milk used to be)
- Mrs Temple (Norfolk, UK). A great range, with a wonderful goats milk softy cheese (White Lady) and Alpine which is a little similar to comte and Gruyere, but not trying to be either.

I'm sure others will have suggestions. There are so many great cheeses, including some genuinely small production / unique cheeses, that I only ever taste a tiny fraction.

Regards
Ian

I think outside of NY or places with large European expat populations, there isn’t great demand for imported cheeses in the US.

In my area, suburb of San Francisco, the only place selling parmiggiano would be Whole Foods. And it’s overpriced there as usual.

Meanwhile most people will settle for Parmesan cheese made in Wisconsin and sold in all grocery stores.

Mozzarella you often find are made by local producers since its popular.

Gouda and Manchego aren’t as well known.

People like Swiss cheese and the Swiss put holes in it for the benefit of Americans but I think there are a lot of domestic producers as well. Average Americans don’t know which cantons are known for cheese or where Switzerland is in a map.

Again outside of NY, can’t imagine a cheese shop would do well. And a lot of the popular cheese stores in NY produce their own rather than importing a lot.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina