• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Best Place for an Artist, south of France or Italy next March

HarveyK

10+ Posts
I'm looking for some advice/suggestions. I'm an impressionist outdoor painter (oils ) and I'm planning a painter's paradise week with 5 other artist friends for late March, 2025. I've narrowed it down to the South of France (Provence) or Southern Italy or Sicily, because the weather in Paris, Normandy, or Venice will be too iffy.
Last time I was in Provence was 25 years ago and stayed at the Chateau Roussan, just outside of St. Remy. It was fabulous, a painter's dream, but, alas, have closed their doors permanently last year. I'm looking for exciting landscapes and townscaptes and a place to stay with beautiful grounds that would offer some motifs. We will have rented cars to get around, but don't want to travel more than 1/2 hour or so from our hotel or house/villa, where we'll stay.
Below is a sample of one of my paintings, done from my porch at home in Western Massachussetts.
Suggestions anyone ?
DSC02915.jpeg

That's beautiful, HarveyK!
What a wonderful dilemma you're in. I imagine there are several people here that have some great points to consider either way. I can only offer suggestions for the south of France. And maybe pose the question of food and drink. Does your group lean one cuisine or the other? Does anyone speak either language that could possibly be a deciding factor?

Let us know what you decide!

Laura

This is a really interesting question Harvey and one that I've been puzzling about. What type of environments are you looking for - landscapes, seascapes, architecture, nature?
It's the time of year which limits ideas. In very early spring, that is the end of March, nature is still waking up. If you were thinking of autumn I would definitely say Tuscany, Val d'Orcia, for the mellow colours and light and contours and red brick etc, or maybe I'm influenced by your picture.
End of March places on the sea like Amalfi coast, Sicily, Puglia, for the light stone, blue sea, early flowers in bloom contrast?? but not sure that's what you're looking for....

Thank you, Laura. Food and drink will play a part in it, as we'd like to recreate the feeling of the late 19th c., where the Impressionists met in the Paris cafes for drinks, meals and serious discussion about art. One of our group artist and her spouse live in London, and another lives in Belllagio, on Lake Como. Since the latter has his own gallery there, he can only go when it's closed, from November to March. We were originally thinking Paris & Normandy or Venice, but the weather became an important factor, so we decided to look more south, where it won't be too cold or wet to paint outdoors. Most of us love the French Impressionists, so painting in the footsteps of Van Gogh or Cezanne (who were technically Post-Impressionists) seemed like not a bad plan. I do go to Bellagio each September to paint in the workshop given by my artist friend who lives there, so looking for a different landscape of more rugged cliffs and hills, rivers or the sea instead of the lake. I'm only familiar with the Amalfi Coast in Italy, but thinking Sicily or somewhere around the foot might be a few degrees warmer.
This is a really interesting question Harvey and one that I've been puzzling about. What type of environments are you looking for - landscapes, seascapes, architecture, nature?
It's the time of year which limits ideas. In very early spring, that is the end of March, nature is still waking up. If you were thinking of autumn I would definitely say Tuscany, Val d'Orcia, for the mellow colours and light and contours and red brick etc, or maybe I'm influenced by your picture.
End of March places on the sea like Amalfi coast, Sicily, Puglia, for the light stone, blue sea, early flowers in bloom contrast?? but not sure that's what you're looking for....
Hi Tina, Thank you for thinking about it, and yes it's a puzzling one. I'd say the environments I'm looking for are the first 3 you named...landscapes, seascapes and architecture. I'm not sure I'd want to be on a coast in November or March as it could get too cold and windy (wind is the worst, as you try to keep your easels from flying over). Yet, I don't want to be far from a coast, because , with a week to paint, if it's a really nice day we can drive to the coast and set up. So, mountains and cliffs in the distance, with interesting villages that we can paint from afar or within would be our first choice, and if there was a river or lake nearby (within an hour of our accomodations) that would be great. It doesn't have to include everything for one painting, but just have the options for several beautiful motifs that will inspire us to interpret iit onto canvas.
Harvey

Perhaps Vence, France. Nice village scenes, picturesque hills, not too far from the sea, easy access to Nice, Cannes, Antibes etc.

Here are some thoughts for you to investigate - the first two are in the north/centre of Italy but the weather can be as nice or nicer (in terms of warmth, sun, etc) in those particular areas as the south of Italy.
1. Lerici, Tellaro, Portovenere - on the sea, but the Gulf of La Spezia is sheltered. Lerici is a popular destination for spending the winter for people from Lombardy/Piedmont. Also not far from Cinque Terre.
https://slowtravelitalyspain.blogspot.com/2020/02/la-spezia-in-january-portovenere.html
2. Campiglia Marittima. The Piombino area has one of the mildest microclimates in Italy. Campiglia is beautiful. Not far to the coast - Baratti-Populonia are highlights, as well as the Promontory of Piombino (Don't be put off by the housing estates before it, when you park and walk a few hundred metres it's another world.) Also places like Bolgheri, Castagneto Carducci....
3. Valle d'Itria in Puglia - places like Locorotondo or Martina Franca more than Alberobello which is most famous for the trulli, https://slowtravelitalyspain.blogspot.com/2022/08/puglia-in-may-valle-ditria-cisternino.html a short drive to the east or west coast of Puglia since the wind can't blow from both directions. On the east coast places like Trani, Monopoli, Giovinazzo
4. In Sicily the Trapani area - once again there are two coastlines for greater likelihood of wind-free painting, Trapani itself, the salt marshes and the sunsets, Erice, Scopello

Thank you, Laura. Food and drink will play a part in it, as we'd like to recreate the feeling of the late 19th c., where the Impressionists met in the Paris cafes for drinks, meals and serious discussion about art. One of our group artist and her spouse live in London, and another lives in Belllagio, on Lake Como. Since the latter has his own gallery there, he can only go when it's closed, from November to March. We were originally thinking Paris & Normandy or Venice, but the weather became an important factor, so we decided to look more south, where it won't be too cold or wet to paint outdoors. Most of us love the French Impressionists, so painting in the footsteps of Van Gogh or Cezanne (who were technically Post-Impressionists) seemed like not a bad plan. I do go to Bellagio each September to paint in the workshop given by my artist friend who lives there, so looking for a different landscape of more rugged cliffs and hills, rivers or the sea instead of the lake. I'm only familiar with the Amalfi Coast in Italy, but thinking Sicily or somewhere around the foot might be a few degrees warmer.
Here are some thoughts for you to investigate - the first two are in the north/centre of Italy but the weather can be as nice or nicer (in terms of warmth, sun, etc) in those particular areas as the south of Italy.
1. Lerici, Tellaro, Portovenere - on the sea, but the Gulf of La Spezia is sheltered. Lerici is a popular destination for spending the winter for people from Lombardy/Piedmont. Also not far from Cinque Terre.
https://slowtravelitalyspain.blogspot.com/2020/02/la-spezia-in-january-portovenere.html
2. Campiglia Marittima. The Piombino area has one of the mildest microclimates in Italy. Campiglia is beautiful. Not far to the coast - Baratti-Populonia are highlights, as well as the Promontory of Piombino (Don't be put off by the housing estates before it, when you park and walk a few hundred metres it's another world.) Also places like Bolgheri, Castagneto Carducci....
3. Valle d'Itria in Puglia - places like Locorotondo or Martina Franca more than Alberobello which is most famous for the trulli, https://slowtravelitalyspain.blogspot.com/2022/08/puglia-in-may-valle-ditria-cisternino.html a short drive to the east or west coast of Puglia since the wind can't blow from both directions. On the east coast places like Trani, Monopoli, Giovinazzo
4. In Sicily the Trapani area - once again there are two coastlines for greater likelihood of wind-free painting, Trapani itself, the salt marshes and the sunsets, Erice, Scopello
Thank you so much, Tina. These were very helpful, and when I sent your suggestions to the artists, joining me, one wrote back that she always wanted to see Puglia. So, looking on the web, it's just what we're looking for, cliffs overlooking the sea, beach scenes, mountainous landscapes & interesting towns. Years ago, my wife and I drove from the Amalfi Coast, where we were staying, to Alberobello to see the trulli. It was a long drive and although the trulli were fascinating, we were disappointed as it seemed to be one souvenir shop after another.
Now I have to find accomodations.

Perhaps Vence, France. Nice village scenes, picturesque hills, not too far from the sea, easy access to Nice, Cannes, Antibes etc.
Penn251 I was also thinking of suggesting Vence. It's lovely and the light is so beautiful. Picasso, Modigliani, Dufy, Matisse and Chagall all lived there for a time - Chagall for 19 years. The Chapel du Rosaire was considered Matisse's masterpiece in his own opinion and has several original pieces as well as the building being designed by him.

Definitely a worthy spot!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina