• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Best spring month to visit Bologna, Vicenza, Padova, etc

SusanSeattle

100+ Posts
It's 2018 so that means it's time to think past this year's trip and think about 2019. Last year I spent 3 nights in Bologna and loved it. I'm starting to plan a return trip with my mom and possibly a couple of friends. The starting plan is to spend 6 nights in Bologna with a few day trips and then to move on to a second city (Verona, Padova, Vicenza?) for a few more nights.

In 2018 I traveled to Bologna in the middle of March and had perfect weather. Was that a fluke or is it usually very nice? I can travel in March, April, or May. I am hoping someone has recommendations for me.

In 2018 I traveled to Bologna in the middle of March and had perfect weather.

Slow Travel and Time Travel combined! ;)

We're considering a trip to Bologna as well, so I did some weather research. If you're looking at March, April or May, then you can see from the following chart (averages for the last twenty years) that April is usually the wettest month (although not very wet) - the light green boxes at the bottom are the precipitation, the orange boxes at the top are average highs and lows.
https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/italy/bologna/climate
I think we might prefer the beginning of October for the seasonal produce.

bo.png

Thanks for the info. We are leaning towards the first week of May now to avoid Easter, Passover, and a couple of trade fairs happening in March and April.
Joe, have you been to Bologna before? Where else are you traveling on your trip?

Joe, have you been to Bologna before? Where else are you traveling on your trip?

We've never been there yet, but we are considering a relatively short trip to see the markets. We need a good whiff of an Italian market every so often to remind us of how food should be, and the descriptions of the markets there have pushed Bologna to the top of our wish list.
There was a good post by Colleen a while ago, that made me consider taking Carmelita from Cook Italy as a guide for a morning (or perhaps even two) :
https://www.sloweurope.com/communit...r-of-bologna-with-cook-italy.2765/#post-18634
I don't think that we'll go for more than a week, and we'll probably include Verona in the itinerary, as we have a friend there. And I haven't started any concrete planning yet, so not sure it will even happen this year.

The markets really are incredible.

I can recommend a b&b that also has 2 one bedroom apartments in the same building. Lovely host, well set up clean apartment, walking distance to the center of Bologna

Bologna nel Cuore

Hi Susan,
I'm in Italy for 3 months starting 10 March 2018. I am going to Ravenna (which means going to Bologna ) and I've toyed with staying there. What did you enjoy and what day trips are you including?
Grazie mille,
Suzanne

Hi Suzanne,
Three months - that sounds amazing!
I loved Bologna, hence the plan to return. We had planned to go to Ravenna but ended up just enjoying the town & not going anywhere.

We enjoyed:
strolling around the city and admiring the architecture
going up to the top (via elevator) of the church in the center & admiring the views
partaking of apertivo (buy a drink and get lots of wonderful appetizers), couple of favorites were Zerocinquantuno and the fancy but friendly bar inside Hotel Touring
wandering around the shopping streets, especially the small stores with local arts & crafts
the 7 churches of santa stefano
the small archaeological museum

I'd recommend staying a night so you can enjoy an apertivo without having to get back on a train afterward.

for the future trip, we hope to stay in Bologna and a couple of other cities (not decided which yet) with a final few days in Stresa. Definitely either Verona or Vicenza, especially to do a Palladian tour, and then maybe Mantuva or Padova. We also want to eat at Hosteria Giusti in Modena.

I'll echo the recommendation of staying in Bologna, or at least within a local bus ride of the centre. Both our initial day trips didn't go well, but something made us give it a proper go, and we were rewarded for doing so.

In terms of weather Bologna can take pretty much any weather in its stride due to the extensive porticoed streets, so driving rain or blazing sun can be ignored safely under cover.

Highlights? It's a city to explore, and there is plenty to see. The food shops are exceptional - I have it on a par with Torino, but many would give Bologna the edge. The basilica di San Pietro is certainly impressive, and Piazza Nettuno is spacious enough to handle lots of tourists / schoolkids without feeling in any way oppressive.

Eating out hasn't been as good as I'd hoped, but I really do like Sette Tavoli, that rotates it's cuisine around the Italian regions and does so with some skills. For something more relaxed, the wine bar In vino veritas has a southern Italian focus and a friendly / relaxed feel.

Plenty more, but it also has the advantage of being foremost a functional city, whilst accomodating tourism within that premise.

I often travel to Italy in March and/or November. In March I have always lucked out with the weather whereas in November (especially in the north), I have encountered rain and cold temperatures. I spent 5 days in Bologna two years ago March and loved it. The weather was perfect with only one day that was overcast. I spent a few days in Bolzano after Bologna and the weather was just as beautiful. I would avoid Easter like the plague. I was in Bologna during Easter and visited a friend in Florence on Little Easter. The trains to Florence were mobbed and almost didn't get back to Bologna in the evening as all the direct trains were booked. I had a similar experience as Ian as far as the restaurants with more misses than hits. However, the delis were fantastic for sandwiches at lunch.

I agree that if you are there during Easter, the crowds will be horrendous. However, if you are there the month before Easter, make sure to go into some chocolate/candy stores to check out all the fancy Easter treats.

We've never been there yet, but we are considering a relatively short trip to see the markets. We need a good whiff of an Italian market every so often to remind us of how food should be, and the descriptions of the markets there have pushed Bologna to the top of our wish list.
There was a good post by Colleen a while ago, that made me consider taking Carmelita from Cook Italy as a guide for a morning (or perhaps even two) :
https://www.sloweurope.com/communit...r-of-bologna-with-cook-italy.2765/#post-18634
I don't think that we'll go for more than a week, and we'll probably include Verona in the itinerary, as we have a friend there. And I haven't started any concrete planning yet, so not sure it will even happen this year.

Joe, if you are a lover of markets don't miss the Albinelli in Modena. So beautiful--one of my favorites.

Off topic question: I'm arriving in Madrid (it's the only non-stop flight from Ecuador). Do you all know a good airline for cost effective flights like Madrid to Florence?
I remember flying one last time where you pay for your luggage at the airport! but the flight was really cheap!

Hi Suzanne
There are a few sites that give flight options - I think they make their money on clickthroughs to purchase.

On the one I checked (Skyscanner) nothing direct showing, but Madrid to Pisa with RyanAir (yes them) was showing as a direct route. Worth reading the posts here about Ryanair. FWIW we do use them where the airport combo is convenient, but it helps to know their pricing structure / business model.

FWIW I'd take a flight plus train over 2 x flights just about every time.

Joe, if you are a lover of markets don't miss the Albinelli in Modena. So beautiful--one of my favorites.

Thanks for the recommendation Jan, I wasn't aware of this market - looks marvelous, and we'll try and add it if the planning allows. I see it's quite close to the train station, so that makes it even easier.
I don't know what's more frustrating : to visit there for only two days, or not to visit at all!
As usual, what started out as four-six days is now looking more like six-eight .... ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: jan
Thanks so much! I was very lucky that Vueling (and Iberia) were flying MAD to FLR on the day I needed to fly!

Loving this thread, we will be in Bologna for 3 nights in June as part of a longer 8 week trip. We have booked a tour with Italian Days to visit a Parmeggiano factory etc. And we plan to eat...LOL.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina